Amorphis Tales From the Thousand Lakes
- Released: March 19, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Relapse
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Thousand Lakes
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Into Hiding
- $1.29 on iTunes3.The Castaway
- $1.29 on iTunes4.First Doom
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Black Winter Day
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Drowned Maid
- $1.29 on iTunes7.In the Beginning
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Forgotten Sunrise
- $1.29 on iTunes9.To Father's Cabin
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Magic and Mayhem
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Fork of the North
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Moon and Sun
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Moon and Sun, Pt. 2: North's Son
- $1.29 on iTunes14.Light My Fire
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Amorphis: Tomi Koivusaari (vocals, guitar); Esa Holpainen (guitar); Kasper Martenson (keyboards, Moog synthesizer); Olli-Pekka Laine (bass); Jan Rechenberger (drums).
Recorded at Studio Sunlight, Stockholm, Sweden in September 1993.
Personnel: Ville Tuomi, Tomi Koivusaari (vocals); Esa Holopainen (guitar); Kasper Martenson (keyboards, Moog synthesizer); Jan Rechberger (drums).
Recording information: Sunlight (09/1993); Sunlight Studios (09/1993).
Photographer: Darius Ramazani.
Bolder than The Karelian Isthmus and conceptually superior to later attempts at progressive but radio-friendly '90s metal, Tales From the Thousand Lakes might just be Amorphis' best recording. This record is heavy, yet never succumbs to the inane extremes common to the melodic death metal genre. The guitars and drums are in ample supply, and a rare attention to arrangement and production really sets this disc apart. The guttural vocal work isn't for every metal fan, but the neo-prog instrumental work and overall heaviness should impress those turned off by the throaty rants. In a possible attempt to widen the band's appeal, Tomi Koivusaari briefly sings, which doesn't exactly work out. These moments of confusion are short-lived, though, and they hardly blemish the release. The subtle addition of keyboards is a nice touch -- Amorphis' captivation with the instrument would soften later efforts. So even though Tales From the Thousand Lakes heralded a shift toward later, inferior recordings, the new and old are balanced precisely on this 1994 Relapse offering. ~ Vincent Jeffries
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 47 ratings.
Based on 47 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$1.98 on SALE