Plays Love Songs / Don Shirley Trio (2-CD)
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$8.48 (50% Off)|
- The album "Plays Love Songs" was originally released as Cadence 3034. "Trio" was originally released as Cadence 25046.
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Cadence 3034 (1960)
- Original Album #2: Cadence 25046 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Something To Remember You By
- 3.What Is There To Say?
- 4.Answer Me My Love
- 5.I'm In The Mood For Love
- 6.These Foolish Things
- 7.I'll Be Around
- 8.I Can't Get Started With You
- 9.Secret Love
- 10.It Could Happen To You
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 2.Where's My Bess
- 3.In A Moorish Market Place
- 4.Man I Love
- 5.This Nearly Was Mine
- 6.Blue Skies
- 7.Adieu Madraz
- 8.Tribute To Billie Holiday
- 9.By Myself /I Know Where I'm Going
- 10.Freedom / I'm On My Way
- 11.When Your Lover Has Gone
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
I am a LONG time fan of Don Shirley. I have 18 original DS 33 LP's. I have been protecting my old DS 33 LP's by taping the disks and only playing the tapes - but the original disks are nearly worn out. Ever since Border's and Barns and Noble opened stores in our area I have been a steady customer. I have been hoping and looking for Don Shirley reissues for years but had pretty much given up hope that they would be available. Recently, Borders printed a booklet of "Jazz Essentials" and when I saw that it did not include Don Shirley I was discouraged - a great jazz musician would be overlooked again.
Imagine my surprise and delight when upon walking into the Monroeville PA Borders on 4/13/03 I found 4 Don Shirly double CD's!! Then when I got them home, I discovered oldies.com.
Disk one, "Love Songs", is a delight - always was. BUT NOW on CD it can be heard in all its glory with FAR BETTER fidelity than my original 33 LP record. THIS record is a "Jazz Essential" and it belongs in the Borders listing as such.
Don Shirley Trio has always been one of my favorites. Don's piano with the cello and bass of Ken Fricker. You must listen to "Water Boy" and "Fredom" several time to appreciate the subtle construction of the DS phrasing. Good stuff. I hope Borders is listening.
Oldies.com is now on my "favorites" list and I will be visiting and buying. Now I know what to put on my birthday and christmas lists. Thank You Oldies.com.
- Sales Rank: 13,848
- UPC: 090431275825
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Collectables Jazz Classics Product Series:
- Bunny Berigan I Can't Get Started (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Art Blakey Hard Bop / Paris Concert (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Teresa Brewer Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Bob Brookmeyer Brookmeyer (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Ray Bryant Cold Turkey (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Piano Music Categories:
- Muhal Richard Abrams Vision Towards Essence (Live) (CD) ~ $19.44
Joey Alexander My Favorite Things (CD) ~
$14.18 Super Savings
Monty Alexander Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
Monty Alexander Monty Meets Sly & Robbie (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
- Monty Alexander / Ernest Ranglin Rocksteady (CD) ~ $17.08