Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 24, 2011
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Featurette The Magnificent Rebel
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Papillon, a prisoner relegated to the squalid confines of a notorious South American penitentiary, maintains he's innocent of the crime for which he's doing time: murder. His cell-mate, Dega, however, is a counterfeiter whose guilt is unquestionable. Though he's a civilized business-type, Dega is easily vitiated by the depraved mores of prison life.
As the interned continue to be treated shamefully and subjected to several cruel and unusual punishments, Papillon grows weary of the mistreatment. Misery leads him to attempt a breakout despite the consequences of possible failure. After several unsuccessful endeavors, Papillon finally manages to break out, but not before he's been through hell and back.
Character Study |
Essential Cinema |
Prison / Prisoners |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release: December 16, 1973.
- "Papillon" was shot in Jamaica and Spain and is an adaptation from Henri Charriere's story of the French Guiana prison colony.
- The film originally received an R rating, but the distribution company challenged this decision, and the rating was changed to PG.