- The album "Tonal Expressions" was originally released in 1955 as Cadence 1001. "Piano Perspectives" was originally released in 1955 as Cadence 1004.
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Cadence 1001 (1955)
- Original Album #2: Cadence 1004 (1955)
Description by OLDIES.com:
These two albums from the mid-'50s find Shirley performing at his tuneful, composing and innovative peaks. "Tonal Expressions" features Shirley displaying great tenderness and emotional depth which render his performances inspiring. On "Piano Perspectives" he takes a bunch of standards, some established old favorites, and puts his distinctive stamp on them, making them sound brand new.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.I Cover The Waterfront
- 2.No Two People
- 3.Secret Love
- 4.Man I Love
- 5.Love Is Here To Stay
- 6.Dancing On The Ceiling
- 7.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 8.Answer Me My Love
- 9.Medley From "New Faces"
- 10.My Funny Valentine
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Someone To Watch Over Me
- 2.Love For Sale
- 3.Blue Moon
- 4.How High The Moon
- 5.I Can't Get Started With You
- 6.I Can't Give You Anything But Love
- 7.I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart
- 8.Makin' Whoopee
- 9.Lullaby Of Birdland
2 LPs on 2 CDs: TONAL EXPRESSIONS (1955)/PIANO PERSPECTIVES (1955).
Originally released on Cadence.
Liner Note Author: Al "Jazzbeaux" Collins.
In 1999, Collectables released Tonal Expressions/Piano Perspectives, which contained two complete albums -- Tonal Expressions (1984, originally released on Cadence) and Piano Perspectives (1987, originally released on Cadence) -- by Don Shirley on one compact disc. ~ Jason Birchmeier