- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: February 7, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Surround - Spanish
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
- Stereo - French
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Behind the Scenes:
- "Making of Featurette - Genesis & the Characters"
- "The Job of Acting - On Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, Bob Rafelson"
- "Bob and Jack - A Life-long Dialogue"
- Bob Rafelson - Director
- Jack Nicholson, Stephen Dorf, Michael Caine - Stars (Specific Scenes)
- Theatrical Trailer
- BLACK WIDOW
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Nice to have you home, just for the novelty."
- Suzanne Gates (Judy Davis) to her husband, Alex (Jack Nicholson)
USA Today - 02/21/1997
"...Methodically paced....Events get progressively intense..."
Variety - 09/30/1996
"...An amusingly caustic, straight-up serving of film noir staples spiced with star charisma..."
Entertainment Weekly - 02/21/1997
"...The real filial tenderness takes place between Nicholson and Caine....[They] display a real affection for one another as buddies..."
New York Times - 02/21/1997
"...[A] compellingly misanthropic film noir....It is wonderful at sustaining a mood of end-of-the-road tropical dissipation..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/21/1997
"...BLOOD & WINE is a deeply eroticized movie....Very compelling indeed..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 02/21/1997
"...BLOOD & WINE is a richly textured crime picture....This is one of Nicholson's best performances..."
In director Bob Rafelson's BLOOD AND WINE, Alex Gates, a broke, philandering wine dealer, decides to steal a client's diamond necklace, but he has no idea how much trouble this will cause. That's because the heist sets off a series of twists and turns, double-crosses, car chases, and violent struggles (most involving members of Alex's dysfunctional family) that put his life and sanity on the line.
Family Interaction |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: February 21, 1997.
- Shown at the San Sebastian Film Festival, in competition, September 21, 1996. Also shown at the 1996 London Film Festival.
- Shot on location in and around Key Largo, Florida.
- BLOOD AND WINE is the sixth movie director Bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson collaborated on. Nicholson did not appear in Rafelson's HEAD, but co-produced and co-wrote the Monkees vehicle. Next, they made FIVE EASY PIECES and THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS, the first two of a loose trilogy about dysfunctional families that, Rafelson says, is completed by BLOOD AND WINE. In addition, Rafelson directed and Nicholson starred in THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE and MAN TROUBLE.