The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (Widescreen)
|You Save:||$2 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Featurette Mrs. Stone: Looking for Love in All the Dark Corners
- Theatrical Trailer
- Subtitles in English, French & Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 2, 2006
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Mono 1.0 English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Mrs. Stone: Looking for Love in All the Dark Corners
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Warren Beatty, Lotte Lenya, Jill St. John, Jeremy Spenser, Josephine Brown, Peter Dyneley & Carl Jaffe|
|Directed by||Jose Quintero|
|Edited by||Ralph Kamplen|
|Screenwriting by||Tennessee Williams|
|Written by||Gavin Lambert & Jan Read|
|Composition by||Richard Addinsell|
|Cinematography by||Harry Waxman|
|Produced by||Louis De Rochemont|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Widow Karen Stone is wealthy and beautiful. Her acting successes are a memory. she lives alone in a luxury apartment overlooking the Roman steps where romantic liaisons take place. And she waits. Academy Award winners Vivien Leigh and Warren Beatty are lady and lover in this tender adaptation of a Tennessee Williams novella directed by Broadway veteran Jose Quintero. Leigh won her second Oscar for Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire; their reteaming creates a similar spell- at once romantic, sinister and nearly explosive. Adding spice to the combustion of the two leads are Best Supporting Nominee Lotte Lenya as a contessa who "arranges" romances in which she has a financial stake and Coral Browne as Karen's savvy best friend.
Vivien Leigh plays an aging actress who travels to Rome in search of her lost youth. There she has a romantic encounter with a handsome young man who at first seems sincere, but later proves to be a calculating gigolo. AKA: "The Widow and the Gigolo." Academy Award Nominations: Best Supporting Actress--Lotte Lenya.
Karen Stone is a lonely, aging, former actress, who moves to Rome after her husband's death. There she finds herself hounded by the young hustlers who make a living trading money for amour. Eventually, she begins a romance with one of these gigolos, Paolo, who convinces Karen that he really loves her. But when he abruptly takes off to exploit a new woman, Karen is left vulnerable and despondent. Unfortunately, it also makes her easy prey for a mysterious man who's been quietly stalking her...
- "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" was Tennessee Williams' only novel.
- This was actress Vivien Leigh's first film role after a 6-year absence.
- Additional cast: Stella Bonheur (Mrs. Jamison-Walker); Josephine Brown (Lucia); Viola Keats (Julia); Henry McCarthy (C. Kennedy); John Phillips (Tom Stone); Paul Stassino (The Barber); Mavis Villiers (Mrs. Coogan); Thelma D'Aguir (Mita).
- Additional credits: Herbert Smith (art director).
- Color by Technicolor.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 54 ratings.
Based on 54 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Graduate (WS) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus... (DVD)
$3.18 on SALE
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...
$1.98 on SALE
Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Ed.) (DVD)
$1.58 on SALE
Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD + CD Soundtrack)
$1.58 on SALE
Sea Hunt - 24 Hour Television Marathon Collection (8-DVD)
$5.58 on SALE