- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 27, 2002
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case - Sensormatic
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.0 - English
- Dolby Surround - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
"...Sumptuously crafted....Crowd pleasing and tear jerking moments..."
Rolling Stone - 11/25/1999
"...[Natalie Portman] is smart, funny, luminous and rigorously unsentimental..."
New York Times - 11/12/1999
"...Mr. Wang again works splendidly with actresses....Ms. Portman does a terrific job..."
Box Office - 12/01/1999
"...Wang keeps a precise balance, necessary to blend a high-octane performance from Sarandon with an understated one from Portman....The film looks ravishing..."
USA Today - 11/12/1999
"...It's terrific to see such well-matched actresses of opposing generations duke it out in this adaptation of Mona Simpson's best seller..."
Adele August is a free-spirit who becomes fed up with her boring life in Bay City, Wisconsin, and dreams of a better life in Beverly Hills. She's convinced that her 14-year-old daughter, Ann, has the makings of a true Hollywood superstar. Ann, however, doesn't want to hear it. Nonetheless, the pair heads for southern California. Adjusting to life in Beverly Hills proves difficult, straining Adele and Ann's already rocky relationship even further.
Based On A Novel |
Coming Of Age |
- Natalie Portman initially turned down the role of Ann because of a love scene that required nudity. Susan Sarandon wouldn't continue involvement in the film without Portman, so the script was rewritten, and Portman accepted the role.
- This film is one of only two movies (the other being WHERE THE HEART IS) that Portman agreed to work on while involved with the STAR WARS prequels.