Phineas Newborn, Jr.
Plays Harold Arlen's Music From "Jamaica" / Fabulous Phineas
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$13.99 (82% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- The album "...Music From "Jamaica" was recorded in New York on March 28 and April 3, 1958. Originally released in 1957 as RCA 1589. "The Fabulous Phineas" was released in 1958 as RCA 1873. The song "Back Home" from the album does not appear on this compact disc due to time restrictions.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: RCA 1589 (1957)
- Original Album #2: RCA 1873 (1958)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Phineas Newborn, Jr. was one of the most 'romantic' of jazz pianists. This compact disc is highlighted by his interpretation of the legendary composer Harold Arlen's score for the Broadway musical, "Jamaica."
- 2.Little Biscuit
- 3.Cocanut Sweet
- 4.Push De Button
- 6.Hooray For De Yankee Dollar
- 7.For Every Fish
- 8.Take It Slow, Joe
- 9.Pitty De Sunset
- 10.Pretty To Walk With
- 11.Sweet Lorraine
- 12.What's New
- 14.45 Degree Angel
- 15.No Moon At All
- 16.I'll Remember April
2 LPs on 1 CD: JAMAICA-PHINEAS NEWBORN, JR. PLAYS HAROLD ARLEN'S MUSIC FROM JAMAICA (1957)/FABULOUS PHINEAS (1958).
Personnel includes: Phineas Newborn, Jr. (piano); Sahib Shihab (alto & baritone saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet); Jerome Richardson (tenor saxophone, flute); Ernie Royal, Nick Ferrente (trumpet); Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Les Spann, Jr. (guitar); George Duvivier (bass); Osie Johnson (drums); Willie Rodriguez, Francisco Pozo (bongos, congas, timbales).
Originally released on RCA (1589) & RCA (1873).
Personnel: Phineas Newborn, Jr. (piano); Les Spann (guitar); Jerome Richardson (flute, tenor saxophone); Sahib Shihab (clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Ernie Royal (trumpet); Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Osie Johnson (drums); Francisco Pozo, Willie Rodriguez (percussion).
Recording information: 09/07/1957-04/03/1958.
This single CD has all of the music from two of pianist Phineas Newborn's RCA records, except for leaving "Down Home" off from Fabulous Phineas due to space limitations. The first set is rather unusual since it was the pianist's only album with a medium-size (ten-piece) band. The ten songs are all taken from the Harold Arlen musical Jamaica, a forgotten play that did not generate any hits. Newborn and the musicians (which include trumpeter Ernie Royal, trombonist Jimmy Cleveland, the reeds of Jerome Richardson, and Sahib Shihab and two Latin percussionists) play quite well, even if the material is mostly forgettable. The second half of the CD is on a higher level, a quartet date (with guitarist Calvin Newborne, bassist George Joyner, and drummer Denzil Best) that puts the focus on the leader's brilliant piano playing. In fact, these versions of "Cherokee" and "What's New" are unaccompanied piano solos; other highlights include "No Moon at All" and "I'll Remember April." This generous CD is a gap-filler since both of these Phineas Newborn albums have been out of print for quite some time. ~ Scott Yanow
Herman FosterExplosive Piano of Herman Foster / Have You Heard? (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 614
- UPC: 090431274026
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 3 Grand 3 the Hard Way (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3-2 Get Funky Three to Get Funky (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- ABC Abracadabra (CD) ~ $1.99 on SALE
- Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields Mozart - Gallery Of Classics (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Air Supply The Earth Is... (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE