- Released: July 1, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Caroline
Q - 5/97, p.124
"...[SHADOWS ON STONE] shares with all of Molloy's work that daredevil flair you hear in great flute-playing...In more subdued moments...his sound takes on a soulful quality that is as restful as a sunset."
- 1.The Morning Thrush
- 2.The Crib Of Perches / Carmel Mahoney Mulhaire's
- 3.The Wind in the Woods
- 4.Garrett Barry's Jig / Paddy Rafferty's Favourite
- 5.Mulvihill's / Wallop The Spot
- 6.The Mason's Apron
- 7.A Fig For A Kiss / Poll Ha'Penny / Merry Sisters
- 8.Chinese Lake Reflections
- 9.Music of the Seals
- 10.The Banshee
- 11.The Sirius Reel / The Humours Of Max
- 12.The Babbling Brook
- 13.The Galway Piper / The Sligo Polka
- 14.The Skylark / Finbar Dwyer's
Personnel: Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh (vocals); Stephen Cooney (guitar, digeridoo); Arty McGlynn (guitar); Frankie Gavin, Ciaran Tourish (fiddle); Neil Martin (cello, piano, keyboards); Derek Bell (harp, oboe); Matt Molloy (flute); Mairtin O Connor (accordion); Christy Moore (bodhran); Paddy Rafferty.
Engineers include: Tim Martin, Brian Masterson, Martin Murray.
Recorded at Westland Studios & Windmill Lane Studios, Dublin, Ireland; Liam Clancy's Studio, Waterford, Ireland; Steve Cooney's Studio, Tralee, Ireland between October 1995 & February 1996.
Shadows on Stone is a typically engaging and wonderful effort from Matt Molloy. On the whole, the record is one of Molloy's most invigorating albums, featuring the flautist as he runs through a series of jigs and reels, only occaisonally slowing down for reflective, slow songs, which are all the more effective in such a hyperactive setting. ~ Thom Owens