Phineas Newborn, Jr.
Phineas' Rainbow / While My Lady Sleeps
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (24% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- The album "Phineas' Rainbow" was originally released in 1957 as RCA 1421. "While My Lady Sleeps" was originally released in 1957 as RCA 1474. The songs "(Love's Got Me In A) Lazy Mood", "I'm Old Fashioned" and "If I Should Lose You" from the original album do not appear on this recording due to time restrictions.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: RCA 1421 (1957)
- Original Album #2: RCA 1474 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Phineas Newborn was considered one of jazz's most technically brilliant pianists. These two albums showcase Newborn's style, which shows stylistic elements of greats such as Fats Waller, Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, and Bud Powell.
- 2.Angel Eyes
- 3.Come To Baby, Do!
- 4.Stairway To The Stars
- 5.Land's End
- 7.She (She Means Everything To Me)
- 8.Tin Tin Deo
- 9.Autumn In New York
- 10.What Is This Thing Called Love
- 11.Moonlight In Vermont
- 12.Don't You Know I Care (Or Don't You Care To Know)
- 13.Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair
- 14.While My Lady Sleeps
- 15.It's Easy To Remember
- 16.Bali Ha'i
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs in 1 CD: PHINEAS' RAINBOW (1957)/WHILE THE LADY SLEEPS (1957).
PHINEAS' RAINBOW originally released on RCA (1421). WHILE THE LADY SLEEPS
originally released on RCA (1474).
This compilation features Phineas Newborn Jr. in two separate settings. Phineas' Rainbow, a collection of solo, trio, and quartet tracks, is the superior session of the two, and it was only the pianist's second full album as a leader. Already he shows a surprising maturity at the keyboard, whether covering standards like "Angel Eyes" and "Autumn in New York" as a soloist, with his trio (including bassist Jamil Nassar and drummer Philly Joe Jones) interpreting Harold Land's "Land's End" or George Shearing's less-familiar "She (She Means Everything to Me)," or ripping through his hard bop originals "Overtime" and "Clarisse" with his brother, Calvin Newborn, on guitar expanding the group to a quartet. Unfortunately, the often heavy-handed string arrangements by conductor Dennis Farnon nearly overwhelm Newborn's incredible technique during the second half of the CD. Newborn gets in some great licks during several of the interludes, but the presence of the strings will make this half of the disc of borderline interest to jazz fans. Since three of the tracks are omitted from the latter session, anyone seeking the complete session is advised to look for the 2001 BMG International CD reissue of While My Lady Sleeps. ~ Ken Dryden
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE