- Released: April 21, 1997
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Q - 4/97, p.1243 Stars (out of 5)
- "...This excellent collection finds her tackling intimate, quality material that sounds like it was taken straight from her tortured diaries."
- 1.The Rock
- 2.Cry Like A Rainy Day
- 3.Love's Been Rough On Me
- 4.Love It Or Leave It Alone
- 5.Don't Touch Me
- 6.Hold Me
- 7.If I Had Any Pride Left At All
- 8.I Can Give You Everything
- 9.I've Been Lovin' You Too Long
- 10.Done In The Dark
Personnel: Etta James (vocals); Don Potter (acoustic guitar); Brent Rowan, Dann Huff, Josh Sklair (electric guitar); Paul Franklin (steel guitar); Joe McGlohon (horns); Steve Nathan, Barry Beckett (keyboards); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Terry McMillan (percussion); Donna McElroy, Vicki Hampton, Yvonne Hodges, Dennis Wilson, Curtis "Mr. Harmony" Young, John Wesley Ryles, Louis Nunley (background vocals).
Jim Horn & The Southside Horns: Mike Haynes, Chris McDonald, Sam Levine.
Love's Been Rough on Me is a terrific latter-day album from Etta James, capturing her at the peak of her powers. James' voice has diminished only slightly over the course of her career, and she knows how to make such warhorses as "I've Been Loving You Too Long" sound fresh. She also invests contemporary music, including John Berry's contemporary country hit "If I Had Any Pride Left at All," with real soul. The result is a record that delivers the real goods with grace and style. ~ Leo Stanley