- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 21, 2011
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: "The Way We Got It Together," a documentary on the making of the film
- Interviews with Ian McKellen and Christopher Miles
- Deleted scenes with director's commentary
- Stills gallery
- Director's Cut
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 09/30/1981
"...A series of spectacular deep-focus compositions....Sharp, luminous visuals..."
A biographical drama depicting the last years of the famed author D.H. Lawrence, highlighted by the publication of "Lady Chatterley's Lover" and his relationship with his wife.
This biographical film provides insight into the life of renowned British author D.H. Lawrence, best known for his sexually explicit novel "Lady Chatterley's Lover." In addition to exploring Lawrence's youth, "Priest of Love" examines important events in Lawrence's personal and professional career, including his tempestuous relationship with his wife and sometime collaborator Frieda; his battle against censorship ("Lady Chatterley's Lover" was banned in England for years); and his bisexuality. Lawrence died of tuberculosis in 1930.
Theatrical Release |
- Shown at the 1981 San Sebastian Film Festival.
- Additional cast: Maurizio Merli (Angelo Ravagli), Mike Gwilym (John Middleton Murry), Massimo Ranieri (Piero Pini), Wendy Alnutt (Maria Huxley), and Elio Pandolfi (Pino Orioli).
- Additional credit: Graham Fowler (assistant director).