John Williams Fiddler on the Roof [30th Anniversary Edition]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 9, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Capitol
- 1.Prologue / Tradition / Main Title
- 3.If I Were A Rich Man
- 4.Sabbath Prayer
- 5.To Life
- 6.Miracle Of Miracles
- 7.Tevye's Dream
- 8.Wedding Procession - (previously unreleased)
- 9.Sunrise Sunset
- 10.Wedding Celebration And The Bottle Dance
- 11.First Act Finale - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Entr'acte - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Do You Love Me?
- 14.Far From The Home I Love
- 15.Chava Ballet Sequence
- 16.Rejection Scene, The - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Second Act Finale
- 19.Any Day Now - (previously unreleased)
Adapters: John Williams ; John Williams .
Personnel: Isaac Stern (vocals, violin); Leonard Frey, Neva Small, Barry Dennen, Molly Picon , Paul Mann, Ruth Madoc, Chaim Topol (vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Ron McMaster.
Audio Remixer: John Hendrickson.
Liner Note Author: Didier C. Deutsch.
Director: Norman Jewison.
Originally released as a double-LP set and now on one CD, the gold-selling soundtrack album for the screen adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical Fiddler on the Roof, which became the top-grossing film of 1971, stretched out Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick's song score with musical adaptations by conductor John Williams, who used a giant orchestra and chorus that sounded like it was far bigger than the population of the little village of Anatevka. (Williams won the Academy Award for musical adaptation for his trouble.) There was plenty of screen dialogue, too. But the appeal of the work continued to be the wonderful songs "Tradition," "Matchmaker," "If I Were a Rich Man," "To Life," "Sunrise, Sunset," and "Do You Love Me." Topol, who repeated his starring performance as Tevye from the London stage version, wasn't as funny as Zero Mostel, who created the part on Broadway, but gave it more gravity. Occasionally on the soundtrack he sounded so tired, though, that he barely got his lines out. Happily, he nailed "If I Were a Rich Man," which is Tevye's real showcase number. The soundtrack also includes one song, "Chavaleh," here called "Chava Ballet Sequence," that was cut from the stage show, though a song that was in the show, "Now I Have Everything," has been dropped. Still, the Fiddler on the Roof album to buy is the original Broadway cast recording. The 2001 CD reissue is even more the creature of Williams than of Bock and Harnick, adding several short instrumental orchestral pieces. But it also adds a good previously unheard song, "Any Day Now," sung by Paul Michael Glaser, who played Perchik, and probably intended to replace "Now I Have Everything," although it, too, was left on the cutting room floor of a film that already ran three hours. ~ William Ruhlmann
Chaim TopolFiddler on the Roof [Original London Cast] [Bonus Tracks]
SoundtrackThe King and I [Original Movie Soundtrack Recording]
$8.84 Super Savings
E.T. L'Extra Terrestre: Musique De John Williams (LP)
$7.49 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 42 ratings.
Based on 42 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Me and You and Everyone We Know [Original Score] (CD)
$12.87 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Soundtracks genre:
- Various Artists Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP) ~ $8.98 on SALE
Soundtrack River's Edge (Soundtrack Album) (LP) ~
$4.49 Super Savings
John Carpenter / Alan Howarth Big Trouble In Little China (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP) ~
$25 Super Savings
Jay Chattaway Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP) ~
$20.24 Super Savings
Alan Silvestri The Delta Force (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP) ~
$3.49 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE