Beastie Boys The In Sound From Way Out!
18 copies available
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 1, 1996
- Label: Capitol
Entertainment Weekly - 4/19/96, p.78"...this all-instrumental EP--13 tracks of jazzed-out percussion, blaxploitation synth, and the occasional orientalized violin, each of which would serve credibly as any hero's theme song--should leave no doubt about where the grooviness really comes from."
- Rating: A-
Melody Maker - 3/16/96, p.39Bloody Essential - "...the Beasties have now recast themselves as Seventies funksters....easily among their most impressive work..."
Musician - 8/96, pp.88-92"...Revisiting the Meters, Sly, Charles Earland, Willie Bobo, Melvin Sparks, and Richard Holmes, THE IN SOUND is fatback-flavored, Latin-tinged funk....[played] with a gritty fluency and fiery musical knowledge..."
- 1.Groove Holmes
- 5.Son Of Neckbone
- 6.In 3's
- 7.Eugene's Lament
- 8.Bobo On The Corner
- 10.Lighten Up
- 11.Ricky's Theme
- 13.Drinkin' Wine
THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT! is an album of instrumentals, many of which were originally released on the albums CHECK YOUR HEAD and ILL COMMUNICATION.
The Beastie Boys: Adam Horovitz (electric guitar); Adam Yauch (bass); Mike D (drums).
Additional personnel: Eugene Gore (violin); Mark Ramos Nishita (keyboards); Eric Bobo (percussion).
Engineers: Mario Caldato, Jr., The Beastie Boys.
Personnel: Ad-Rock (electric guitar); Mike D (drums).
Photographer: Eli Bonerz.
A testament to the talent of the Beastie Boys is that even a compilation of instrumental cuts, all previously released (although some admittedly on limited-run singles), could remain relevant to the music world. Not only is THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT intriguing, but it could be argued to be the greatest statement of the threesome's musicianship. In their existence, the Beasties have transmuted themselves from a streetwise hardcore band, to a bratty white-boy rap collective, to a more sincere rap trio, to indie-funk-soul-punk-rap innovators.
These instrumental interludes started popping up in the last of these phases, and play like groove-funk soundtracks to '70s films that never were. From most artists, a collection such as this one would seem self-serving and pretentious, but these are the Beastie Boys. Wordless wonders like "Eugene's Lament" and "In 3's," rightly deserve a spot on the musical landscape. No, this is not a calculated marketing strategy to extract money from consumers, but a CD that pretty much had to be; these cuts the Beastie's laid down on separate albums were meant to be played together, and THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT completes that puzzle.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 73 ratings.
Based on 73 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 5 (2-CD) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- The Five Boroughs Doo Wop Under The Palms (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE