Kevin Eubanks Zen Food
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Pat Metheny ~ Kin ~ $17.08
- by Kevin Eubanks ~ The Messenger ~ $16.18
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- Released: November 22, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Mack Avenue
Down Beat - p.543 stars out of 5 - "'Dirty Monk' begins reflectively, taking pleasure in its own sound. It then morphs into the barroom bluesiness of a Friday night roadhouse."
JazzTimes - p.52"[T]he musical synchronicity on display is often dazzling, as on '6/8'....There are other uptempo gems here too, including 'Das It,' a brief if fierce riff-and-rolling outing..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Kevin Eubanks (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Bill Pierce (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Gerry Etkins (piano, Fender Rhodes piano, organ); Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixers: Robert Biles; Kevin Eubanks.
Liner Note Authors: Gretchen Valade; Kevin Eubanks.
Recording information: Spirit Studio.
Photographer: Raj Naik.
Kevin Eubanks didn't do much recording as a leader during his 18 years as Jay Leno's music director on The Tonight Show, though Zen Food was taped shortly before the guitarist announced his departure from his long-running gig. Eubanks is accompanied by veteran saxophonist Bill Pierce (heard on both tenor and soprano), drummer Marvin "Smitty" Smith, keyboardist Gerry Etkins, and bassist Rene Camacho. Eubanks' opener, "The Dancing Sea," signals the diversity of his long-awaited CD, leading off with an intricate, infectious theme over a contemporary Latin rhythm, though the guitarist ends up playing a very heated solo, buoyed by Etkins' electric piano and Smith's powerful drumming, while showcasing Pierce's lyrical soprano sax. He switches to acoustic guitar for "Adoration" (which is derived in part from the centuries-old hymn "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty"), creating an intimate yet lively duet with Etkins' Fender Rhodes. Eubanks' breezy bop vehicle "6/8" is launched with the guitarist's hot riff accompanied solely by Pierce's equally hot tenor sax, with the intensity building as Etkins' funky organ enters with the rhythm section. Eubanks also proves himself as a ballad master with the whispering ballad "I Remember Loving You." Kevin Eubanks will satisfy jazz fans with his delicious Zen Food. ~ Ken Dryden
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE