Leo Kottke The Instrumentals: The Best of the Chrysalis Years
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 10, 2003
- Label: EMI Mod Afw
- 3.Death by Reputation
- 4.Fisherman, The - (previously unreleased, live)
- 5.Up Tempo - (previously unreleased, live)
- 6.A Low Thud
- 7.Orange Room
- 10.The Train and the Gate
- 11.Open Country Joy: Theme and Adhesions
- 13.Palms Blvd.
- 15.Jib's Hat
- 16.All I Have to Do Is Dream
- 17.Memories Are Made of This
- 18.Little Martha - (previously unreleased)
Personnel: Leo Kottke (guitar); David Miner (bass); David Kemper (drums).
Producers: Denny Bruce, Kenneth Buttrey, Leo Kottke, T-Bone Burnett.
Compilation producer: Jerry Roche.
Recorded between 1976 & 1983. Includes liner notes by Jerry Roche.
Personnel: Leo Kottke (guitar); David Kemper (drums).
Recording information: Montreux Jazz Festival (1976-1983).
Leo Kottke's voice isn't for everyone, and has led a number of guitar freaks to borrow Frank Zappa's unkind phrase: "Shut up 'n play yer guitar." Instrumentals: The Best of the Chrysalis Years will speak to these fans, as it presents 18 pieces, from "Airproofing" in 1976 to "Memories Are Made of This" in 1983. To spice the package up a bit, the folks at Blue Note have added a live track, "The Fisherman," from a notable Montreux Jazz Festival performance in 1977, and a couple of unissued tracks, including Duane Allman's "Little Martha." While most of these pieces have been penned by Kottke, he also offers delightful versions of Norman Petty's "Wheels" and the Everly Brothers' favorite "All I Have to Do Is Dream." All of Kottke's stylistic gifts come into play on Instrumentals. There's electric slide on "Whine," the use of a lovely open-tuning on "Dolores," and the clean ambience and warmth of "Strange." The tracks flow in chronological order, allowing the listener to follow the guitarist's evolution over his eight years with Chrysalis; and while the albums he recorded during this time may lack the edginess of his earlier material, the pieces on Instrumentals are consistently fresh and invigorating. Guitar hero wannabes, of course, will buy the album for the extra tracks; everyone else will find it a rewarding introduction to mid-period Kottke. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The King of Country Music: The Complete Foundation... (CD)
$251.09 Super Savings
In Memory of The Man: Dedicated To Lester Flatt (CD)
$16.89 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE