Stan Getz Quintets: The Clef & Norgran Studio Albums (3-CD)
11 copies available
|You Save:||$6 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Charles Mingus ~ The Complete Album Collection [Box Set] (10-CD) ~ $60.93
- by Stan Getz ~ The Complete Columbia Albums Collection [Box Set] [Limited Edition] (8-CD Box Set) ~ $60.93
- by Oscar Peterson ~ Debut: The Clef/Mercury Duo Recordings 1949-1951 (3-CD) ~ $45.55
- by Warne Marsh ~ Live at Dana Point 1957 (2-CD) ~ $24.56
- by Miles Davis ~ Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series, Volume 2 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: February 8, 2011
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Hip-O Select
Down Beat - p.574 stars out of 5 -- "It elegantly fills a gap in Getz's youthful discography."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1005 stars out of 5 -- "Getz's tenor sax is luxuriously smooth, silky and a model of emotional restraint, epitomising the West Coast cool jazz sound that he was the principal architect of."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Stella by Starlight
- 2.Time on My Hands
- 3.'Tis Autumn
- 4.The Way You Look Tonight
- 5.Lover Come Back to Me
- 6.Body and Soul
- 7.Stars Fell on Alabama
- 8.You Turned the Tables on Me
- 9.Thanks for the Memory
- 10.Hymn of the Orient
- 11.These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)
- 12.How Deep Is the Ocean?
- 13.Have You Met Miss Jones?
- 15.Cool Mix
- 16.Rustic Hop
- 17.Love and the Weather
- 18.Spring Is Here
- 19.Crazy Rhythm
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Willow Weep for Me
- 2.The Nearness of You
- 3.Pot Luck
- 4.Minor Blues
- 5.Fascinatin' Rhythm
- 6.I Don't Know What Time It Was
- 8.Pot Luck [Single Version]
- 9.It Don't Mean a Thing [Alternate Version] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 10.I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You
- 11.Down by the Sycamore Tree
- 12.With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair
- 13.Nobody Else But Me
- 14.I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You [Alternate Take] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 15.Nobody Else But Me [Alternate Take] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Raney (guitar); Tony Fruscella (trumpet); Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone); Duke Jordan, Jimmy Rowles, John Williams (piano); Frank Isola, Al Levitt, Max Roach (drums).
Liner Note Author: Ashley Kahn.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (01/23/1954); New York, NY (01/23/1954); Los Angeles, CA (01/31/1955); New York, NY (01/31/1955); Los Angeles, CA (07/30/1953); New York, NY (07/30/1953); Los Angeles, CA (08/15/1953); New York, NY (08/15/1953); Los Angeles, CA (08/22/1953); New York, NY (08/22/1953); Los Angeles, CA (11/09/1954); New York, NY (11/09/1954); Los Angeles, CA (12/12/1952); New York, NY (12/12/1952); Los Angeles, CA (12/29/1952); New York, NY (12/29/1952).
Basically, what you see is what you get: all of the recordings Stan Getz did for the Norgran and Clef between December of 1952 and January of 1955. Most of this material has been issued several times -- at least -- by numerous labels legally and illegally. What makes the Hip-O Select set the definitive issue is, besides proper licensing, that all of these cuts, the 10" albums -- Stan Getz Plays, The Artistry of Stan Getz, all three Interpretations volumes, and Stan Getz & the Cool Sounds -- along with all the single and EP releases for a total of 45 sides -- three of them previously unreleased -- and a pair of studio cuts that appeared on the otherwise live Stan Getz at the Shrine appear in chronological order. The vast majority of these sessions were recorded with quintets. The membership of these Getz bands featured Bob Brookmeyer on all but the last where he is replaced by Tony Fruscella, pianist John Williams (though Duke Jordan appears on the earliest of these tracks with guitarist Jimmy Raney), bassist Teddy Kotick and drummer Frank Isola. Six performances were recorded by a quartet that included pianist Jimmy Rowles, drummer Max Roach, and bassist Bob Whitlock. Two of them, alternate takes of "I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You," and "Nobody But You" are previously unissued. The other unreleased cut is an alternate take of "It Don't Mean Thing," recorded with the quintet during August of 1953. The liner notes by Ashley Khan offer a typically excellent historical titime linef the sessions and the relationship between Norman Granz and Getz during during a fruitful but chaotic period in the saxophonist's life personally and professionally, without editorializing. They also include a painstaking sessionography, photographs of single labels, and album covers with the three discs presented in heavy cardboard adorned with original cover art; all of it housed handsomely in a slipcase. The remastered sound is warm and full; exponentially better than it appears anywhere else. For real Getz collectors, the set is a necessity. ~ Thom Jurek
Girl From Ipanema / Desafinado (with Charlie Byrd) (45)
$1.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE