Taxi (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
Independent cabbie Matt Nolan is primed to let his fists and handgun deliver payback after a big taxi firm uses intimidation and violence to squeeze out small-timers.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 23, 2012
- Originally Released: 1932
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- PCM Mono - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Cagney, Loretta Young, Leila Bennet, Guy Kibbee, Dorothy Burgess & George E. Stone|
|Performer:||George E. Stone, Guy Kibbee, Leila Bennett, Dorothy Burgess, David Landau & Ray Cooke|
|Directed by||Roy Del Ruth|
|Screenwriting by||Kubec Glasmon & John Bright|
|Composition by||Leo F. Forbstein|
|Art Direction by||Esdras Hartley|
|Produced by||Robert Lord|
|Director of Photography:||James Van Trees|
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Come out and take it, you dirty yellow-bellied rat...." Independent cabbie Matt Nolan is primed to let his fists and handgun deliver payback after a big taxi firm uses intimidation and violence to squeeze out small-timers. James Cagney plays Nolan, a role suited to his pugnacious, post-The Public Enemy persona. Ramming rival cabs that have hemmed him into a too-tight parking spot, slugging the hoofer (George Raft) who bested him in a dance contest, tracking down the killer of his brother, Cagney shows why he was the era's "terrier of the screen" (Mordaunt Hall, The New York Times). Loretta Young costars as the femme who tries to tame Nolan.
A huge box office success and a key film in James Cagney's rise to stardom, this drama stars Cagney as Matt Nolan, a gritty New York City cab driver who is being squeezed by a monopolistic taxi trust which uses force to run him and other independent cabbies away from the most profitable locations. Nolan joins forces with Pop Riley (George Kibbee), whose cab is smashed by a truck when he refuses to cooperate with the syndicate. Kibbee is sent to prison for shooting at the truck driver. Nolan is dating his daughter, Sue (Loretta Young), and they enter a Peabody dance contest at a local nightclub. Cagney dances on screen for the first time, and so does George Raft as Willie Kenny, another dancing tough guy who was a friend of Cagney's, who pushed Warner Bros. to give Cagney the role. Nolan marries Sue Riley, and she tries to get him to cool down. But the taxi trust goons kill his brother Danny (Ray Cooke), and Nolan goes on a rampage. In several filmed gun battles, live machine-gun bullets are used, as they were in Cagney's famed THE PUBLIC ENEMY. This is the last time Cagney allowed that.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$13.34 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- Lighthouse (1947) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Reflections in a Golden Eye [Thinpak] (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Death of a Prophet / Get Christie Love! (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection (The Red Dragon / The Feathered Serpent / The Sky Dragon) (2-Disc) (DVD-R) ~ $21.32 on SALE
- Hal Roach's Early Pathe Comedies (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Night of Medusa (2016) / Slave Girls on the Moon (2014) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Climax! Volume 1 - The Volcano Seat/Scream in Silence (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE