Fatboy Slim The Greatest Hits: Why Try Harder
- Released: June 20, 2006
- Label: Astralwerks
Rolling Stone - p.1064 stars out of 5 -- "This smartly compiled best-of showcases Cook's late Nineties hits; stupid fun bangers with whimsical, gratuitously repeated vocal samples; buoyant remixes...and a smidgen of moodier esoterica."
Q - p.1234 stars out of 5 -- "[G]athered together they sound like music from another planet entirely..."
- 1.The Rockafeller Skank
- 2.Praise You
- 3.Brimful of Asha - (Norman Cook Remix, Norman Cook remix)
- 4.Weapon of Choice
- 5.Gangster Trippin'
- 6.I See You Baby - (Fatboy Slim Remix, Fatboy Slim remix)
- 7.Wonderful Night
- 8.Right Here, Right Now
- 9.Going Out of My Head
- 10.Sunset (Bird of Prey)
- 11.Everybody Loves a Carnival
- 12.Don't Let the Man Get You Down
- 14.Sho Nuff
- 15.Slash Dot Dash
- 16.Santz Cruz
- 17.Champion Sound
- 18.That Old Pair of Jeans
Personnel: Sharon Woolf (vocals).
Audio Mixer: Simon Thornton.
Audio Remixers: Fatboy Slim; Norman Cook.
WHY TRY HARDER? marks a decade in the illustrious career of Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim. As one of the prime movers of the big-beat genre, Cook has arguably done more to popularize global dance music culture than any other artist. This collection highlights songs that have become not only club anthems but staples on mainstream radio, MTV, and throughout pop culture in general. Fatboy Slim's formula for chart-topping success is then all the more surprising since his tracks are not usually "songs" in the traditional sense--rather, they consist mostly of breakbeats and vocal samples from classic soul and R&B.
Tracks like "Rockafeller Skank" and "Praise You" are trademark Fatboy Slim--showcasing Cook's uncanny ability to weave samples as disparate as surf guitar and gospel vocals into a propulsive dance mix. If the entire collection featured such DJ-friendly material, it would make for a fine party album. But the song "Sunset (Bird Of Prey)" displays Cook's more contemplative side. Mixing a spectral Jim Morrison a cappella sample over ambient synth washes, the track is the emotive apogee of a triumphant career retrospective.
Halfway Between The Gutter and The Stars (2-LPs-180GV)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.29 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE