|You Save:||$2.36 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Also released as:
Kes (Blu-ray) for $35.96
- Viva La Muerte ~ $21.34
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 19, 2011
- Originally Released: 1969
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Disc One
- Alternate, Internationally Released Soundtrack, with Postsync Dialogue
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Disc Two
- Making "Kes," a new documentary featuring Loach, Menges, Producer Tony Garnett, and Actor David Bradley
- The Southbank Show: "Ken Loach," a 1993 profile
- Cathy Come Home (1966), an early television feature by Loach, with an afterword by Film Writer Graham Fuller
- Plus: a Booklet featuring an Essay by Fuller
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Lynne Perrie, Brian Glover, Freddie Fletcher, Colin Welland & David Bradley|
|Directed by||Ken Loach|
|Screenwriting by||Ken Loach, Barry Hines & Tony Garnett|
|Composition by||John Cameron|
|Director of Photography:||Chris Menges|
In this 1969 Ken Loach film, a 15-year-old named Billy Casper (played by acting newcomer David Bradley) suffers abuse both at home and at school in Yorkshire, England. At his home in the working-class section of Barnsley, Billy's brother beats him and his family neglects him. At school, most of his teachers ridicule and reject him, especially sadistic Mr. Sugden (Brian Glover. Like other downtrodden children in an outmoded social system favoring the ruling class, Billy appears headed for a menial job with no future. Consequently, he has no motivation and nothing to look forward to, until the day he finds a kestrel -- a European falcon with the ability to hover against strong wind. The bird, a fledgling, is akin to the boy, who must withstand winds of his own. It is not surprising, therefore, that Billy finds meaning in befriending and caring for the baby kestrel. He raises, nurtures, and trains the falcon, whom he calls "Kes." Its development gives him hope that he too will one day develop, that he too will gain the skills to fly against the wind. Then Billy opts to spend his brother's track money on food for Kes, which sets the stage for a grave disagreement betwen the young men and an unhappy outcome.
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...
$1.98 on SALE
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!