The Carter Family On Border Radio, Volume 3: 1939
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Chet Atkins ~ Chet Atkins With the Carter Sisters and Mother Maybelle 1949 ~ $15.39
- by The Carter Family ~ On Border Radio, Volume 1 ~ $14.81
- by Johnny Cash ~ Out Among the Stars [Bonus Track] ~ $9.71
- Released: March 23, 1999
- Label: Arhoolie Records
- 1.Theme / Cannon Ball Blues
- 2.The Story of Charlie and Nellie
- 3.One Little Word / Alabama Gal
- 4.You Are My Sunshine / Happy Or Lonesome
- 5.Oh, Susanna / On My Way To Canaan's Land
- 6.Going Back To Texas / Great Speckled Bird
- 7.Oh, Death / Don't Bury Me On The Lone Prairie
- 8.When The Spring Roses Are Blooming / Chinese Breakdown
- 9.Way Down Yonder In The Cumberland Mts. / Let The Church Roll On
- 10.Broken Engagement / I Shall Not Be Moved
- 11.Dark Haired True Lover / In Your Care
- 12.Theme / Station ID
- 13.Theme / The Old Lady's Home
- 14.The Winding Stream
- 15.Miners Blues / Columbus Stockade Blues
- 16.No Home / Prisoners Dream
- 17.Something Got A Hold Of Me / Spirit Of Love
- 18.Worried Man Blues
- 19.Giddyup Go / Sittin' On Top Of The World
- 20.My Virginia Rose
- 21.Cyclone of Rye Cove
- 22.Wade In The Water / Charlie Brooks
- 23.Anchored in Love
- 24.I've Been Working On The Railroad / I'll Be Satisfied
- 25.Theme Out & Sign Off
The Carter Family: Sara Carter, Jeanette Carter, Helen Carter, June Carter, Anita Carter (vocals, guitar, autoharp); A.P. Carter, Maybelle Carter (vocals, guitar)
Recorded at XET Studios, Monterrey, Mexico in 1939. Includes liner notes by Ed Kahn.
ON BORDER RADIO is a collection of transcriptions the Carter Family, including the Carter children, made for Mexican radio station XET.
This third volume of the Tex-Mex border radio transcriptions the Carter Family recorded for rogue radio station XET is heavy on contributions from the extended family, though the original trio still contribute fine performances, notably on "The Story of Charlie and Nellie" and "Sitting on Top of the World." Perhaps due to broadcasting schedules some performances are somewhat more truncated than usual, but in the main this set includes many intriguing snippets, such as A.P. Carter's "My Virginia Rose," a rare example of the family patriarch accompanying himself on guitar.
The overall atmosphere on these transcriptions is relaxed, confident and casual. The Carters seem to be actually enjoying themselves, with none of their customary diffidence in front of the microphone. Jeanette Carter delivers a magical autoharp-accompanied version of the classic work song "Wade in the Water," and the entire family performs a rousing version of "Anchored in Love."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE