The Carter Family On Border Radio, Volume 2: 1939
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by The Carter Family ~ On Border Radio, Volume 1 ~ $14.81
- Released: January 20, 1998
- Label: Arhoolie Records
- 1.Theme / Why There Is A Tear In My Eye
- 2.Sleep Baby Sleep / Just Another Broken Heart
- 4.I Can Not Be Your Sweetheart / Red Wing
- 5.A Broken Down Saint
- 6.Weeping Willow
- 7.You Are My Flower / Gathering Flowers From The Hillside
- 8.The Last Letter / I Wouldn't Mind Dying
- 9.Who's That Knocking at My Window
- 10.Diamonds In The Rough / The Fatal Wedding
- 11.It's Hard To Please Your Mind / Death Is Only A Dream
- 12.Theme / XET Station Break
- 13.Theme / The Church In The Wildwood
- 14.Are You Tired Of Me, My Darling? / Sourwood Mountain
- 15.Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie / My Bonnie Blue Eyes
- 16.Yankee Doodle / Storms On The Ocean
- 17.Sugar Hill
- 18.Hello Stranger
- 19.Cowboy Jack
- 20.Nobody's Darling / Funny When You Feel That Way
- 21.Dixie Darling
- 22.Shortning Bread / Soldier And His Sweetheart
- 23.Polly Wolly Doodle All Day / My Gold Watch And Chain
- 24.River of Jordan
- 25.I Will Never Marry / God Gave Noah The Rainbow Sign
- 26.Theme Out & Xet Station Break
The Carter Family: Sara Carter, Jeanette Carter, Helen Carter, June Carter, Anita Carter (vocals, guitar, autoharp); A.P. Carter, Maybelle Carter (vocals, guitar).
Additional personnel: Brother Bill Guild (spoken vocals).
Recorded at XET Studios, Monterrey, Mexico in 1939. Includes liner notes by Ed Kahn.
ON BORDER RADIO is a collection of transcriptions the Carter Family, including the Carter children, made for Mexican radio station XET.
Personnel: Jeanette Carter, Anita Carter, Sara Carter (vocals, guitar, autoharp); A.P. Carter, Mother Maybelle Carter (vocals, guitar).
Editor: Chris Strachwitz.
Unknown Contributor Role: Benny Medina.
These radio transcriptions show something of a different aspect of the Carter Family. The group is heard here in a setting that's not exactly casual, but is much more informal than that of their more familiar commercially recorded material. The selections here cover the Family's familiar turf of gospel, sentimental songs and popular cowboy songs, plus some Mexican-influenced songs such as "You Are My Flower," and also feature siblings Jeanette, June, and Helen.
The latter lack the polish of the regular trio of A.P., Maybelle, and Sara, but their contributions, particularly "Corina," are nevertheless endearing in a pre-adolescent kind of way. The Carter Family never commercially released many of the songs collected here, a fact that makes this set all the more interesting. A.P. Carter makes a rare solo appearance on "I Can Not Be Your Sweetheart"; his tremulous vocal is immensely appealing and almost worth the price of the CD by itself. Several spirited instrumentals such as "Red Wing" are also included here.
Opry Video Classics - Hall of Fame (15 Live Performances) (DVD)
Opry Video Classics - Pioneers (15 Live Performances) (DVD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE