The Carter Family On Border Radio, Volume 1
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.81 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.17 (18% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Carter Family ~ The Acme Sessions, 1952-56 (2-CD) ~ $20.91
- by The Carter Family ~ 1927-1934 (5-CD Box Set) ~ $24.26
- by Carter Sisters / Chet Atkins ~ Carter Sisters And Mother Maybelle With Chet Atkins ~ $15.39
- by Chet Atkins ~ Chet Atkins With the Carter Sisters and Mother Maybelle 1949 ~ $15.39
- by The Carter Family ~ On Border Radio, Volume 3: 1939 ~ $20.99
- Released: November 30, 1995
- Label: Arhoolie Records
Sing Out! - 5-6-7/96, p.162"...culled from very rare acetate transcriptions....These acetates...were intended to sound like live broadcasts and are looser in feel than the carefully crafted Victor sides..."
- 1.XET Station Break, Introduction, Theme Song / The Wandering Boy
- 2.I Wonder How The Old Folks Are At Home / In The Highways
- 3.Room For You and Me
- 4.Cumberland Gap / Lonesome Valley
- 5.Just Another Broken Heart
- 6.Darling We Are Growing Older / The Old Texas Trail
- 7.Cowboy's Wild Song To His Herd / Maple On The Hill
- 8.New River Train / Lover's Lane
- 9.My Sweetheart Is A Poor Working Girl / Waves Of The Sea (Instrumental)
- 10.On the Sea of Galilee
- 11.The Curtains of Night
- 12.Just a Few More Days of Sorrow
- 13.Theme Out & Xet Station Break
- 14.Intro & Theme / When Our Lord Shall Come Again
- 15.The Happiest Days of All
- 16.Bye And Bye / We Shall Rise
- 17.Engine 143 / Jealous Hearted Me
- 18.Untitled / What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul?
- 19.Beautiful Brown Eyes / Sweet Fern
- 20.I Have No Loving Mother Now
- 21.Western Hobo
- 22.Single Girl
- 23.I'm Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes
- 24.The Sun's Gonna Shine In My Back Door Someday / Give Me The Roses While I Live
- 25.You Denied Your Love
- 26.No Telephone in Heaven
- 27.Theme Out & Xet Station Break
The Carter Family: Sara Carter, Jeanette Carter, June Carter, Anita Carter, Helen Carter (vocals, guitar, autoharp); A.P. Carter, Maybelle Carter (vocals, guitar).
Additional personnel: Brother Bill Guild, Benny Medina (spoken vocals).
Recorded at Don and Dode Baxter's studio, San Antonio, Texas in 1939 for broadcast on radio station XET, Monterrey, Mexico. Includes liner notes by Ed Kahn.
ON BORDER RADIO is a collection of transcriptions the Carter Family, including the Carter children, made for Mexican radio station XET.
Recorded for a Mexico-based radio station owned by a quack doctor named John Brinkley, these tracks provide a rare glimpse of the Carter Family (complete with a somewhat squeaky sounding 10-year old June) in a setting that, while not exactly informal, differs significantly from their usual recording situation. Family patriarch A.P. Carter lends full-throated support to longtime partners Sara and Maybelle in a selection of songs that cover sentimental Victorian ballads and religious songs like "Just a Few More Days of Sorrow," and more contemporary material such as "Cowboy's Wild Song to His Herd."
These transmissions proved particularly useful as they meant the Family was able to reach a wide audience without having to make multiple personal appearances, or travel great distances. These transcriptions also feature a few amusing station ID breaks and commercials; however the emphasis here is very much on the Family's trademark blend of homespun harmonies and simple arrangements, in a more casual setting than they're usually heard.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE