Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 5, 2011
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Note: The making of Babe
- Feature commentary with writer/producer George Miller
- George Miller on Babe
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- DTS - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Christmas means carnage!"
- Ferdinand, the duck (voice of DANNY MANN)
Academy Awards 1996 -
Best Visual Effects
Premiere - 04/01/1996
"...Utterly charming..." - Recommended
USA Today - 08/04/1995
"...[BABE] is in a league of its own when it comes to enchantment....Beautifully shot in Australia, Babe gives off a cozy, old-fashioned feel..." -- 3 1/2 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 08/11/1995
"...It's inspiring what real talent, imagination, and style can do..." -- Rating: A
Variety - 07/24/1995
"...Dazzling family entertainment with enormous charm and utilizing breathtaking technical innovation..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/04/1995
"...Carefree and light on its feet....If only people would be more like these animals, the world, though hardly saner, would certainly be a lot more fun..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 08/04/1995
"...BABE is a movie made with charm and wit....It knows things, and teaches lessons. And it is so well made that adults will find it entertaining, too..."
A little pig with big dreams teaches himself to be a sheepdog in this marvelous fantasy based on Dick King-Smith's children's novel "The Sheep-Pig." When an old farmer wins a piglet at a carnival by guessing its weight, be brings the oinker, named Babe, home. At first, the little animal feels confused and lonely. But a maternal collie, who just delivered her own litter, welcomes Babe into her family, and teaches him about farm life. Soon the precious pig proves that he can be a pretty valuable asset to the farmer and his wife--in a most unexpected way. Special effects allow the entire menagerie of farm animals to speak throughout this magical live-action tale.
- The film won the 1995 Academy Award for Best Visual Effects.
- Released theatrically in the USA August 4, 1995, and had an opening weekend box office gross of $8.7 million.
- A Kennedy Miller production.
- Color by Atlab color. Sound in DTS.
- Animatronic characters by Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Animal action directed by Karl Lewis Miller.
- Additional credits: Simon Warnock, Michael Bau, Geoffrey Guiffre (assistant directors); Ken Arlidge (additional unit director of photography); Carolyn Tyrer (makeup/hair).
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.