- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1934
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Spanish
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono, French, Spanish, English
- SUBTITLES: English SDH
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Filmmaker F.X. Feeney
- Claudette Colbert: Queen of the Sliver Screen
- Cecil B. DeMille: Hollywood's Epic Director
- Forbidden Film: The Production Code Era
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1934 -
Best Cinematography: Victor Milner
Entertainment Weekly - 08/09/1996
"…Colbert steamed up the screen….Enjoyably overstuffed…" -- Rating: B
Sight and Sound - 10/01/2012
"[T]he film's charm lies in its brazen 1930s quality, right from the gilded art-deco Egyptian settings and Travis Banton's nightclub-on-the-Nile costuming to the snap-an-crackle of wit that makes Colbert's Cleopatra as much feisty dame as femme fatale."
Grandiose, epic, and vintage Hollywood. Claudette Colbert stars as the captivating and powerful Queen of Egypt in this classic Hollywood film. When Julius Caesar, the leader of the Roman Empire, succumbs to the charms of the sultry Cleopatra, he creates a scandal big enough to shake the marble pillars of Rome. The ruler pays dearly for his romance, for the outraged Roman Senate repudiates him and the fickle Cleopatra decides to protect her interests by bestowing her affections on her former lover's rival, Marc Antony. Remade in 1963 with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.
Ancient World |
Period Piece |
- Additional crew members include David McDonald as Cullen Tate as Assistant Directors.
- Copyright 1934 Paramount Productions, Inc. Renewed 1961 by EMKA, Ltd.