- Widescreen Version
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Language: Italian (with English Subtitles)
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 4, 2006
- Originally Released: 1975
- Label: Koch Lorber Films
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - Italian
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 03/01/2005
"Giannini, looking like the ancient mariner, and Mariangela Melato excel as the couple who loathe each other so much it's inevitable they'll fall in love."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Set against the backdrop of the beautiful Mediterranean, Swept Away is Lina Wertmuller's most famous and controversial film about sex, love and politics. On an elegant yacht cruising off the coast of Sardinia, Raffaella, a rich and stunning capitalist, enjoys tormenting Gennarino, a Communist sailor. Fate weaves a different scenario and roles become reversed when the two find themselves stranded together on a deserted island. Raffaella must submit to Gennarino in order to survive, which culminates in a dramatic climax when they are rescued. They must determine if their love can survive the harsh realities of civilization.
An Italian film which traces the relationship that develops between a rich, selfish woman and a slovenly sailor when they become shipwrecked.
Raffaela, a fiery and independent Italian factory owner, gets stranded on a deserted, edenic island with a virile yacht hand who has the uncanny knack of reducing women to sexual objects. She succumbs to his strong and forceful masculinity, and falls madly in love. Then comes the moment of their rescue and exile from paradise, when returning to society forces them to deal with harsh, cold reality.
Love Story |
- Full title (English): "Swept Away (By an Unusual Destiny in the Blue Sea of August)." Full title (Italian): "Travolti da un Insolito Destino Nell' Azzurro Mare d'Agosto."
- Color by Technicolor.