- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 7, 2003
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"When a straight man puts on a dress and gets his sexual kicks, he is a transvestite. When a man is a woman trapped in a man's body, and has a little operation, he is a transsexual. When a gay man has WAY too much fashion sense for one gender, he is a drag queen."
- Noxeema Jackson (WESLEY SNIPES) to Chi Chi Rodriguez (JOHN LEGUIZAMO).
"We gotta make moments fabulous. Because no sooner is a moment noticed than it is gone, child. And a life ain't something to be avoided."
- Noxeema Jackson (WESLEY SNIPES)
"Ready or not, here comes mama."
- Vida Boheme (PATRICK SWAYZE)
Rolling Stone - 09/21/1995
Entertainment Weekly - 02/23/1996
"...A fairy-tale in the old-school sense..." -- Rating: B+
Variety - 09/04/1995
"...A celebration of openness, alternative lifestyles and bonding....Shining throughout is the brilliant Leguizamo..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/08/1995
"...The movie is clever in the way it presents its three macho stars....Funny and amusing..."
Boys will be girls: three outrageous (but loveable) drag queens -- fierce Noxeema, sensitive Vida, and dreamer Chi Chi -- set out from New York to Hollywood in their 1967 Cadillac convertible. In addition to their eye-popping wardrobes, the divas pack a good luck charm, an autographed photo of TV's "Catwoman", Julie Newmar. But when the Caddy breaks down in Snydersville, the mother of all hick towns, the trio decides to stay for the weekend. While there, the threesome (mistaken for actual women) become enmeshed in many of the citizens' problems, ranging from spousal abuse to romantic heartache. They even teach some of the surly males to lighten up on the machismo thing. But when the fetching femmes are revealed to be gay guys, how will the town react'
Social Issues |
Switching Roles |
- Released theatrically in the USA September 8, 1995.
- Amblin Entertainment is Steven Spielberg's production company.
- Color by DeLuxe.
- In DTS Stereo.
- Actual drag queens auditioned for the three starring roles, as well as Hollywood actors Robert Sean Leonard, James Spader, Stephen Dorff, John Cusack, and "Mrs. Doubtfire" herself, Robin Williams.
- Director Beeban Kidron was five months pregnant when shooting began in July, 1994. She gave birth the day after the film wrapped.
- Additional credits: Dale Nielsen, Heidi McGowen, James Weis (assistant directors); Christopher Woods (2nd unit photography); Elizabeth Ziegler (steadicam operator); and Kevin P. Faherty, Patricia Eiben (wardrobe supervisors).
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.