- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 30, 2003
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Surround - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Dolby Surround - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 07/26/1991
"...The violence often approaches the operatic grandness of THE GODFATHER films..."
Fictionalized account of the early days of mobsters Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, and Frank Costello as they try to build their business while contending with rival dons.
Organized Crime |
True Story |
- Commercial director Michael Karbelnikoff made his feature film debut with "Mobsters," replacing Luis Mandoki after he dropped out of the project.
- Costas Mandylor went on to star in the CBS series, "Picket Fences," which also featured Fyvush Finkel in a recurring role.
- Estimated budget $23 million.
- Filmed in Los Angeles, California, beganning December 10, 1990; completed March 22, 1991. Color by Deluxe. Main titles and optical effects by Howard Anderson Company. Montage sequence and the main titles designed by Pablo Ferro. End titles by the Optical House.
- Screened at 1991 Tokyo International Film Festival.
- Released in USA July 26, 1991. Released on video January 30, 1992.
- Reviewed in the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times July 26, 1991.
- Also known as the "Mobsters: The Evil Empire." Working title for the film was "Gangsters."