- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 30, 2001
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.78
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.78
- Dolby Surround - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Cast and Crew
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 08/03/1990
"...Seductive, engaging....[Lee is] terrific at ambience, at a real feeling for backstage talk..."
Top jazz trumpet player Bleek Gilliam is obsessed by his music but indecisive about his two girlfriends. When his manager and childhood friend gets into trouble because of compulsive gambling, Bleek comes to his aid only to discover that his world is more fragile than he ever imagined. MO' BETTER BLUES is directed by Spike Lee and stars Lee; his sister, Joie; Denzel Washington; Cynda Williams; and Welsey Snipes.
Jazz Musicians |
Love Triangle |
Love Triangles |
Music (General) |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: August 3, 1990.
- Filmed at the Empire Sound Stages in Long Island City, and in Brooklyn and New York, New York. Filming began September 25, 1989, and completed December 1, 1989.
- Estimated budget: $10-12 million.
- The film screened at the 1990 Venice Film Festival in competition and the Goodwill Film Festival.
- MO' BETTER BLUES was the last screen appearance for the late comedic actor Robin Harris, who also appeared in HOUSE PARTY and in Lee's DO THE RIGHT THING.