- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 12 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 15, 1999
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Will Smith &
Gabriel Byrne &
Trevor Rabin &
Director of Photography:
Executive Production by
James W. Skotchdopole &
Andrew Z. Davis
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Why are they after me'"--Robert Dean (Will Smith)
"You have something they want."--Brill (Gene Hackman)
"I don't have anything!"--Dean
"Maybe you do and you don't know it."
"What the hell is happening'!"--Dean
"I blew up the building."--Brill
"Because you made a phone call!"
"If you live another day, I'll be very impressed."
- Brill to Dean
Rolling Stone - 12/10/1998
"...[A] dynamic thriller....[Will Smith] is sensational..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/08/1999
"...A high-adrenaline action thriller....Smith is a fresh choice..." -- Rating: B
USA Today - 12/11/1998
"...[A] brisk, grown-up thriller...Will Smith delivers a terrifically ingratiating performance..." -- 3 1/2 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 11/20/1998
"...It has a hurtling pace, nonstop intensity, and a stylish, appealing performance by Will Smith..."
Ultimate DVD - 07/01/2006
4 stars out of 5 -- "Hackman is fantastic....[The film is] one of Scott's best."
In Tony Scott's ENEMY OF THE STATE, a lawyer unwittingly discovers evidence of a serious politically-motivated crime. Federal agents eager to cover up their crime proceed to turn his life upside-down and ruin his reputation, thanks to the latest in high-tech surveillance techniques. The film features various connections to Francis Ford Coppola's brilliant 1974 film, THE CONVERSATION.
- Theatrical release: November 20, 1998.
- Filmed in Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, Maryland.
- ENEMY OF THE STATE is closely connected to Francis Ford Coppola's 1974 film, THE CONVERSATION, which also stars Gene Hackman. A past photograph of Hackman's character, Brill, in ENEMY OF THE STATE is actually a shot of Hackman as Harry Caul in THE CONVERSATION. It's implied that they are the same character under different aliases.
- The film also shares similarities with Wim Wenders's THE END OF VIOLENCE, which shares actors Gabriel Byrne and Loren Dean, as well as a similar techno-surveillance theme.
- Jason Robards, Philip Baker Hall, Tom Sizemore, and Seth Green make uncredited appearances in the film.