Bob Dylan Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series, Volume 8 (Deluxe Edition) (3-CD)
|You Save:||$17 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (3 Discs)
- by Bob Dylan ~ Bootleg Series, Volume 5: Live 1975-The Rolling Thunder (2-CD) ~ $15.59
- by Bob Dylan ~ Bootleg Series, Volume 6: Live 1964-The Philharmonic Hall Concert (2-CD) ~ $15.49
- by Bob Dylan ~ Bootleg Series, Volume 7: No Direction Home-The Soundtrack (2-CD) ~ $17.27
- by Bob Dylan ~ Bootleg Series, Volume 9: The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (2-CD Box Set) ~ $17.08
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: October 7, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - p.764.5 stars out of 5 -- "TELL TALE SIGNS makes plain that Dylan knows the caprices of the world he lives in, now more than ever. Just as important, this collection bears witness to Dylan's reclamation of voice and perspective."
Rolling Stone - p.88Ranked #2 in Rolling Stone's 50 Best Albums Of 2008 -- "The veering tempers of Dylan's medicine-rattle rasp are a wonder to themselves."
Entertainment Weekly - p.70"[T]he generally superb TELL TALE SIGNS repurposes known material in simple, languid, semi-acoustic settings that hark back to '70s classics like BLOOD ON THE TRACKS." -- Grade: A
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1224 stars out of 5 -- "Dylan's second album with Lanois, TIME OUT OF MIND, is represented by a nice, slow blues alternative take of 'Can't Wait' and four songs that didn't make the final cut....Top prizes go to gutbucket 'Lonesome Day Blues' and harmony-laden 'Cocaine Blues'..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.864 stars out of 5 -- "The overriding lesson from these TELL TALE SIGNS is of Bob's immaculate role as performer. There is no one 'final version' of a track -- just the one that happens to make sense on the day."
Uncut (magazine)5 stars out of 5 -- "TELL TALE SIGNS is awash with evidence of his staggering mercuriality, his evident determination even in the studio to repeat himself as little as possible..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Mississippi [Unreleased, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Most of the Time [Alternate Version, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 3.Dignity [Piano Demo, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Someday Baby [Alternate Version, Modern Times] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 5.Red River Shore [Unreleased, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 6.Tell Ol' Bill [Alternate Version,North Country Soundtrack] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 7.Born In Time [Unreleased, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Can't Wait [Alternate Version, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 9.Everything is Broken [Alternate Version, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 10.Dreamin' Of You [Unreleased, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Huck's Tune [From Lucky You Soundtrack]
- 12.Marchin' To The City - (previously unreleased)
- 13.High Water (For Charley Patton) [Live, 2003] - (previously unreleased, live)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Mississippi [Unreleased Version #2, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 2.32-20 Blues [Unreleased, World Gone Wrong] - (previously unreleased)
- 3.Series of Dreams [Unreleased, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased)
- 4.God Knows [Unreleased, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased)
- 5.Can't Escape From You [Unreleased, December 2005] - (previously unreleased)
- 6.Dignity [Unreleased, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Ring Them Bells [Live At the Supper Club, 1993] - (previously unreleased, live)
- 8.Cocaine Blues [Live, 1997] - (previously unreleased, live)
- 9.Ain't Talkin' [Alternate Version, Modern Times] - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 10.Girl On the Greenbriar Shore [Live, 1992], The - (previously unreleased, live)
- 11.Lonesome Day Blues [Live, 2002] - (previously unreleased, live)
- 12.Miss the Mississippi [Unreleased, 1992] - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Lonesome River [With Ralph Stanley], The - (featuring Ralph Stanley)
- 14.'Cross The Green Mountain [From Gods and Generals Soundtrack]
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Duncan & Brady [Unreleased, 1992] - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Cold Irons Bound [Live, 2004] - (live)
- 3.Mississippi (Unreleased Version #3) - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Most of the Time [Alternate Version #2, Oh Mercy] - (alternate take)
- 5.Ring Them Bells [Alternate Version, Oh Mercy] - (alternate take)
- 6.Things Have Changed [Live, 2000] - (live)
- 7.Red River Shore [Unreleased Version #2, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Born In Time [Unreleased Version #2, Oh Mercy] - (previously unreleased)
- 9.Tryin' To Get To [Live, 2000] - (live)
- 10.Marchin' To The City [Unreleased Version #2, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Can't Wait [Unreleased Version #2, Time Out of Mind] - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Mary and the Soldier [Unreleased, World Gone Wrong] - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals, guitar, harp, harmonica, piano, organ); Ralph Stanley (vocals, banjo); Donnie Herron (guitar, steel guitar); Daniel Lanois (guitar, dobro, organ); Larry Campbell (guitar, violin); Glen Lowe, Tommy Morrongiello, David Bromberg, Denny Freeman, Duke Robillard, Freddy Koella, James Alan Shelton, John Jackson, Mason Ruffner, Ralph Stanley II, Stuart Kimball, Bob Britt, Brian Stoltz, Charlie Sexton (guitar); Bucky Baxter (electric guitar, slide guitar, electric slide guitar, steel guitar, pedal steel guitar); Cindy Cashdollar (slide guitar, dobro); Steve Sparkman (banjo); Jeff Wisor, Dick Fegy (mandolin, fiddle); John Rigsby (mandolin); Elana Fremerman (violin); James Price (fiddle); Augie Meyers (accordion, organ); John Firmin (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Peter Ecklund (trumpet); Curtis Linberg (trombone); Tony Mangurian (piano, drums, percussion); Jim Dickinson, Benmont Tench (organ); Chris Cameron, Christopher Cameron (keyboards); Robert Amiot, Tony Hall, Tony Garnier (bass instrument); Jack Cooke (upright bass); David Kemper, Winston Watson (drums, percussion); Jim Keltner, Willie Green , Richard Crooks , George Recile, Brian Blade (drums); Malcolm Burn (tambourine); Cyril Neville, Darryl Johnson (percussion).
Audio Mixers: Chris Shaw ; Pablo Wheeler; Malcolm Burn; Mark Wilder; Michael Brauer; Bil VornDick.
Liner Note Author: Larry Solman.
Editor: Damian Rodriguez.
Photographers: Lynn Goldsmith; Larry Keegan; Ken Regan; Gilles Peras; Lorey Sebastian; Mark Seliger; David Gahr; Kevin Mazur; Ana Maria Valez; Giulio Molfese; John Werner ; Randee Saint Nicholas; William Claxton; Marlene Rosenberg; Jim McCarthy; Danny Clinch.
This eighth chapter in Dylan's epic Bootleg Series covers the era bookended by 1989's OH MERCY and 2006's MODERN TIMES. As the only installment with its own unique title, TELL TALE SIGNS acts in some ways as its own original record and the fourth salvo in the renaissance kicked off by 1997's TIME OUT OF MIND. A deeply satisfying two-disc set, TELL TALE SIGNS argues emphatically that these albums were no fluke, but rooted in a significantly broader, deeper wellspring of creativity. Unconcerned with the contemporary zeitgeist, Dylan synthesizes old forms--from rockabilly to jump blues; from Jimmie Rodgers-esque parlor balladry to country gospel--into his millieu with extraordinary ease, and rides various ace line-ups (which feature such stalwarts as guitarist/fiddler Larry Campbell, guitarist Charlie Sexton, and organist Augie Meyers) into an isolated dreamland soaked with spring reverb and pulsating tremolo. The stranger in these songs may be familiar, but now his visions thrum with nostalgia and regret.
The highlights are many. A devastating acoustic demo of the OH MERCY stand-out "Most of the Time" rescues the song from Daniel Lanois's overweaning production on the original. "Red River Shore" and "Marchin' to the City"--cut from the final sequence of TIME OUT OF MIND--smolder. Two vastly different alternate versions of both the OH MERCY-era single "Dignity" and LOVE AND THEFT's "Mississippi" reveal the degree to which Dylan plumbs a song's performative possibilities. Still restless, still aching, still remarkable, TELL TALE SIGNS is yet another revelation in a career already crowded with them.
Down the Tracks: Music That Influenced Bob Dylan (DVD)(3)
$3.98 on SALE
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Special Ed.) (2-DVD)(116)
$7.98 on SALE
Bob Dylan - Intimate Insights From Friends And Fellow... (Book)(12)
$4.95 on SALE
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 174 ratings.
Based on 174 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)(5)
$6.98 on SALE