King Kong (1933) (Restored & Remastered Edition) (Full Screen)
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.33 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.64 (43% Off)|
- Theatrical Trailers
- Subtitles in French & Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 1933
- Label: Turner Home Ent
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 1.0 English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot & Fay Wray|
|Performer:||Frank Reicher, Sam Hardy, Noble Johnson, James Flavin, Victor Long & Everett Brown|
|Directed by||Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack|
|Edited by||Ted Cheesman|
|Screenwriting by||Ruth Rose & James Creelman|
|Composition by||Max Steiner|
|Cinematography by||Vernon Walker, Edward Linden & J.O. Taylor|
|Art Direction by||Van Nest Polglase|
|Produced by||Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Shoedsack|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...KING KONG is the screen's ultimate Beauty-and-the-Beast fable, and it endures through the power of innocence that has all but vanished from the screen..."
"...KING KONG is more than a technical achievement. It is also a curiously touching fable....There is something ageless and primeval about KING KONG that still somehow works..."
"...The grand-daddy of all monster movies..."
"[T]he first Kong has something today's CGI masters are hard-pressed to give their monsters: a soul."
"[I]t's still the quintessential pulp saga, capable of popping eyeballs 70-odd years later without the help of computers."
"[The] black-and-white granddaddy of beast-on-the-loose movies....The movie looks improved over earlier video and TV copies, and still packs a wallop..."
4 stars out of 4 -- "What makes KONG unique is its mix of hokum, horror, and peculiar poetry..."
Ranked #3 in Rolling Stone's "Top 25 DVDs Of 2005' -- "[T]he joy is seeing the 1933 original, complete with Max Steiner's classic score and once-censored scenes..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Description by Warner Home Video:
- Theatrical release: March 2, 1933 (NY).
- KING KONG was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1991.
- The story originated with writer Edgar Wallace, who died before the film's 1933 release.
- Despite Kong's apparent death at the end of the 1933 classic, the tale of a giant ape set loose on the modern world has been retold many times since. The quickie sequel, SON OF KONG, was released in 1933 and shared director Ernest B. Schoedsack, special effects man Willis O'Brian and star Robert Armstrong with the first film. Armstrong joined Helen Mack and Victor Wong on a trip back to Skull Island, where they discover Kong's young son.
- In 1949, Schoedsack, O'Brian, and Armstrong went back to the well once more and retrieved MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, about another giant monkey. O'Brian shared effects duties with Ray Harryhausen this time out and Armstrong was joined in the cast by Terry Moore, Ben Johnson, Frank McHugh, and "Mr. Joseph Young."
- Japanese director Inoshira Honda produced a pair of mid-1960s KONG movies, KING KONG ESCAPES and KING KONG VS. GODZILLA.
- Dino de Laurentiis produced an extravagant and largely unsuccessful remake of KING KONG in 1976. It was directed by John Guillermin with effects by Rick Baker. Jeff Bridges, Charles Grodin, John Randolph, and Rene Auberjonois starred in the film, which also featured the film debut of model Jessica Lange. De Laurentiis and Guillermin also produced a 1986 sequel that was aptly titled KING KONG LIVES, which starred Brian Kerwin, Linda Hamilton, John Ashton, and Peter Michael Goetz. In this film, a pair of scientists find the resurrected gorilla a giant mate and battle those who would destroy the beast.
- Before KING KONG, Willis O'Brian worked on the 1925 film THE LOST WORLD. Based on the Arthur Conan Doyle tale, this silent classic tells the story of a group of scientists who stumble on a prehistoric world of dinosaurs and other presumably extinct creatures while on a museum outing. It was directed by Harry Hoyt and starred Bessie Love, Wallace Beery, and Lewis Stone. Disaster-movie king Irwin Allen produced a 1960 remake that starred Michael Rennie, Jill St. John, David Hedison, Claude Rains, Fernando Lamas, and Richard Haydn.
- Stop-motion animation was used to create the 50-foot Kong out of six 18-inch models. These models were constructed out of rubber and rabbit fur over a metal skeleton. For close-ups, the filmmakers created a full-scale hand and 20-foot model of Kong's head and shoulders and covered them in bear hides.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 364 ratings.
I have watched this film more times than any other film, hands down. This restored and remastered edition is perfect. Bear in mind that King Kong was released in 1933 and the effects become even more outstanding. Fay Wray was the world's champion screamer. Robert Armstrong is that would-be great who, but for the fact that the chains aren't quite strong enough, was on his way to being a millionaire. Bruce Cabot was a perfect hero, shy at times, bold and brave at others. But the real hero of this film is the Eighth Wonder of the World, the mighty King Kong. Superb is too mild a word of praise for this masterpiece.
I've seen this and others like it there's no other film that can stand up to it no remakes, this is one film that was made with heart.
Top ranking titles in the Horror genre:
- Zombiethon (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Night of Medusa (2016) / Slave Girls on the Moon (2014) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Leeches (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Edition) (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Coffin Joe: Embodiment of Evil (Blu-ray + DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Attack of the 30's Characters - Cartoon Classics from All Eight Major American Animation Studios (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.