- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 14 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 22, 2007
- Originally Released: 1972
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Mono 1.0 - French
- Subtitles - English, French - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Mark Rydell - Director
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- THE COWBOYS: TOGETHER AGAIN
- THE BREAKING OF BOYS AND THE MAKING OF MEN
- Collectible Behind-the-Scenes Photo Set
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2004
"[T]he real subject here often seems to be Wayne's persona....Rydell is able to hint at a vulnerability not found in many of the star's other performances."
In director Mark Rydell's THE COWBOYS, a veteran rancher hires a group of young boys to drive his cattle to market after his regular hands desert him. The length of the trip and the unwieldly herd of cattle make for an impromptu classroom on the range, complete with attacking outlaws.
Switching Roles |
- Filmed in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Colorado.
- Director Mark Rydell discovered the novel when it was still unpublished, and sold the idea for the film to Warner Brothers.
- John William's overture, entr'acte, and exit music was never used in the film's general release prints, but you can hear them on video and DVD versions of the film.
- For the cattle-drive scenes, there were 1,500 cattle and over 100 horses used.
- Rydell said making THE COWBOYS was one of the greatest experiences of his life.