- Released: August 29, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.I Left My Heart in San Francisco
- 2.Once Upon a Time [From the Broadway Production All American]
- 3.Tender Is the Night [From the 20th Century-Fox Film Tender Is the Night]
- 4.Smile [From the United Artists Film Modern Times]
- 5.Love for Sale [From the Broadway Production the New Yorkers] - (featuring Billy Exiner / Candido)
- 6.Taking a Chance on Love [From the Broadway Production Cabin in the Sky] - (featuring Count Basie & His Orchestra)
- 7.Candy Kisses
- 8.Have I Told You Lately? [From the Broadway Production, I Can Get It for You Wholesale]
- 9.Rules of the Road
- 10.Marry Young
- 11.I'm Always Chasing Rainbows [From the Broadway Production Oh, Look!]
- 12.The Best Is Yet to Come
Also available in a 3-pack with THE ART OF EXCELLENCE and ASTORIA: PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST.
Recording information: CBS 30th Street Studios (10/25/1957-01/23/1962).
Photographer: Don Hunstein.
Fully a decade after his first top hits, the enormous success of 1962's " I Left My Heart In San Francisco" finally established Tony Bennett as the preeminent male singer of his generation. While some of the tunes here might not be as distinguished as later work, (where Bennett would be able to excercise more clout) there are substantial offerings such as the near-transcendent "Once Upon A Time" and a thoughtful reprise of Nat "King" Cole's "Smile," complete with a lovely wordless soprano floating somewhere in the background. By this time, Bennett's slightly grainy baritone was a perfectly refined instrument; the increased confidence permeating his second interpretation of Cole Porter's "Love For Sale" (first heard on 1957's THE BEAT OF MY HEART) is infectious. A playful, off-meter reading of Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh's aptly titled "The Best Is Yet To Come" closes the set in high style.