- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 4 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 24, 2007
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Subtitles - English (SDH), French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- ART IMATING LIFE
- FAMILY REUNION
- Words And Music
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Tom Hulce &
Harley Jane Kozak,
Dianne Wiest &
Lowell Ganz &
Babaloo Mandel &
Director of Photography:
Executive Production by
Joseph M. Caracciolo, Jr.
Rolling Stone - 08/24/1989
"...Heartfelt and howlingly comic..."
New York Times - 08/02/1989
"...[A] sophisticated sitcom of a movie....A rich evocation of the swirl of suburban family life..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/02/1989
"...[Howard's] fine touch with ensembles reaches real maturity here, as he pulls together the script's tendency to skitter between sociology and sitcom, making it into one perceptive, delicious whole..."
Total Film - 07/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t's Martin's mix of teary-eyed pathos and balloon-clown mania that looks best for its age."
The Buckmans are a modern-day family facing the age-old dilemma of trying to raise children the "right" way. At the center of the storm is Gil, who manages to keep his unique sense of humor while maintaining his career, and being a loving husband and parent.
The trials and tribulations of middle-class family life are depicted in director Ron Howard's humorous and loving ode to the joys of parenthood. Middle-manager Gil Buckman struggles to reconcile his ambitions at work with his loyalty to his family, particularly to his troubled son, Kevin. His divorced sister Helen has a sullen and withdrawn son and a sexually active teenage daughter. Gil's other sister, Susan, is a schoolteacher married to an ambitious yuppie determined to make a genius of their 3-year-old daughter. Their long-lost brother, the irresponsible Larry, has always been daddy's favorite and returns home with an illegitimate son named Cool.
Family (General) |
Family Interaction |
- "Parenthood" was the first feature filmed at the Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.
- Shot in Panavision. Color by Deluxe. Sound by Dolby.
- "Parenthood" was later adapted for television, producing a short-lived television series.