Planet of the Apes
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.80 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.18 (28% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: March 28, 2006
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Surround - French
- DTS - English
- Mono - Spanish
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- THX Certified Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary:
- Jerry Goldsmith - Composer
- Roddy Mc Dowell, Natalie Trundy, Kim Hunter - Stars, John Chambers - Make-up Artist
- Eric Greene - PLANET OF THE APES series expert (Text Only)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Kim Hunter, Maurice Evans, Roddy McDowall & Charlton Heston|
|Performer:||James Whitmore, James Daly, Linda Harrison, Robert Gunner, Lou Wagner & Woodrow Parfrey|
|Directed by||Franklin J. Schaffner|
|Edited by||Hugh S. Fowler|
|Written by||Michael Wilson|
|Composition by||Jerry Goldsmith|
|Cinematography by||Leon Shamroy|
|Art Direction by||Jack Martin Smith|
|Produced by||Arthur P. Jacobs|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...The original shocked audiences, and in the process, kicked off sci-fi's first true franchise..."
"...[A] classic....Seminal sci-fi..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
- Edward G. Robinson was originally slated to play the role of Zaius, but had to pull out at the last minute due to health problems.
- An Apjac Production.
- Color by DeLuxe. Shot in Panavision.
- Exteriors filmed in Utah and Arizona National Park.
- Film debut for actress Linda Harrison.
- Additional cast: Robert Gunner (London), Lou Wagner (Lucius), and Jeff Burton (Dodge).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 262 ratings.
Well, here we are, stuck somewhere on some planet where some Apes (Chimps, Gorillas, and Orangs) rule the day. Very interesting how the Chimps represent the common "folk", the Gorillas the military, and the Orangs the Gov't/Senatorial Wise Leaders! Wonder what planet that was based on?
In any case, Charlton Heston really needed his guns here! (Moses won't cut it for this one!) But the best part is the Twilight Zonish ending - which you can't beat even if the rest of the movie is hokey!
There were several other sequels to this flick that came out almost every year or so but none of them were as good as this one.
I saw this movie for the first time while I was in the US Army in Georgia during 1968. It was quite a movie to see back then, and it was "cool" for its time and age. Still is - if you can get past some of the corny dialogue and also the "ho-hum" ape costumes and makeup (the remake of this movie from circa 2000 did a much better job of the makeup and special effects, if nothing else).
See this movie first and compare it to the 2000 remake - I think you'll agree that nothing beats the original.
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle - gotta go now and have a bannana with my popcorn!
Until the next review,
- Sales Rank: 30,047
- UPC: 024543229742
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item