The Great Waltz (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
To capture "the spirit" of Johann Strauss' music, The Great Waltz combines exquisite craftsmanship with spirited inventiveness.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 8, 2012
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- PCM Mono - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Luise Rainer, Fernand Gravey & Miliza Korjus|
|Performer:||Hugh Herbert, Lionel Atwill, Curt Boi, Leonid Kinskey, Minna Gombell, George Houston, Bert Roach, Herman Bing, Henry Hull & Curt Bois|
|Featured:||Miliza Korjus & Fernand Gravey|
|Directed by||Julien Duvivier & Josef von Sternberg|
|Edited by||Tom Held|
|Music by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Screenwriting by||Walter Reisch & Samuel Hoffenstein|
|Composition by||Johann Strauss, II & Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Art Direction by||Cedric Gibbons|
|Story by||Gottfried Reinhardt|
|Subject:||Johann Strauss, II|
|Produced by||Bernard Hyman|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph Ruttenberg|
Academy Awards 1938 - Best Cinematography: Joseph Ruttenberg
Description by OLDIES.com:
Dazzling? Daring? The Great Waltz may have you searching for ways to describe its great charms. This cinematic rhapsody loosely based on the life of composer Johann Strauss is truly "an overlooked gem" (The Motion Picture Guide). To capture what the film calls "the spirit" of Strauss' music, The Great Waltz combines exquisite craftsmanship with spirited inventiveness. The splendid backlot re-creations of Viennese settings range from convivial biergartens to ornate palaces. Dimitri Tiomkin's arrangements of Strauss' incredible music (with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II) swirl and dive. And the camerawork glides with bravura artistry. Julien Duvivier directs, getting radiant performances from two-time Oscar-winner Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfeld, The Good Earth), Fernand Gravet and Oscar-nominated diva Miliza Korjus.
A film biography of composer Johann Strauss which is also a good romantic comedy and wonderful musical. By all means, if you're looking for the life of the bank clerk-turned-composer, avoid the 1972 version and watch this one, which features Strauss's greatest hits.
- Songs featured: "Tales of Vienna Woods," "There'll Come a Time," "One Day When We Were Young," selections from the operetta "Die Fledermaus," "Blue Danube," "I'm in Love with Vienna," "An Artist's Life," "Voice of Spring," "Du unt du," and "Revolutionary March."
- Earl Covert and Ralph Leon were the singing voice doubles for Fernand Gravet. Alice Mock was the vocal stand-in for Miliza Korjus.
- The life of Johann Strauss, Jr. also inspired the 1934 production, "Waltzes from Vienna," and Disney's 1963 film "The Waltz King."
- Other actors considered for the lead role were: Fredric March, Clifton Webb, Brian Aherne, and Francis Lederer.
- The film's backgrounds were shot in Chino, CA.
- Additional cast: Al Shean (cellist), Greta Meyer (Mrs. Vogelhuber).
- Additional credits: Arthur Gutmann (music director).
- Distributed theatrically in the US through Loew's, Inc.
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$13.34 on SALE
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 14,344
- UPC: 883316399828
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Drive-In Movie Classics 50 Movie Megapack (12-DVD)
$7.98 on SALE