Paul Simon There Goes Rhymin' Simon
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.14 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.84 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 9, 2011
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Sony Legacy
Record Collector (magazine) - p.975 stars out of 5 -- "THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON saw him turn his attentions to soul and New Orleans-tinged R&B, while casting and eye over a country battered by Vietnam and Watergate..."
- 3.Take Me To the Mardi Gras
- 4.Something So Right
- 5.One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor
- 6.American Tune
- 7.Was a Sunny Day
- 8.Learn How To Fall
- 9.St. Judy's Comet
- 10.Loves Me Like a Rock
- 11.Let Me Live In Your City [Work-In-Progress] - (take)
- 12.Take Me To the Mardi Gras [Acoustic Demo]
- 13.American Tune [Unfinished Demo]
- 14.Loves Me Like a Rock [Acoustic Demo]
Audio Remasterers: Dan Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Recording information: columbia Studios, NY (09/1972-01/1973); Malaco Recording Studios, Jackson, MS (09/1972-01/1973); Morgan Studios, London, England (09/1972-01/1973); Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Muscle Shoals, AL (09/1972-01/1973).
Building on the solid reputation of Simon & Garfunkel and the genre-exploring experiments of his solo debut, Paul Simon released this exceptional collection of songs in 1973. Simon seems to revel in his newfound solo freedom here, expanding his folk-rock palette to include gospel, reggae, R&B, and Dixieland, ratcheting up production values, and performing with great authority and confidence. That confidence is supported by some of the artist's finest and most focused compositions, including the jangly, exuberant "Kodachrome," a metaphor for the subjectivity of memory, the beautiful acoustic ballad "American Tune," and the gospel-derived "Love Me Like a Rock."
The Dixie Hummingbirds lend their exquisite harmonies to "Loves Me Like a Rock" [is it "love" or "loves"?] and "Tenderness," while Reverend Claude Jeter contributes a floating falsetto to "Take Me To the Mardi Gras" and the Muscle Shoals rhythms section provide occasional R&B muscle.
These guests add color and texture to Simon's singer-songwriter format, marking a cultural journey that would culminate in 1986's GRACELAND. In fact, THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON is probably the artist's most consistent and satisfying solo album after GRACELAND--a sizable claim given the songwriter's impressive achievements through the '70s and '80s.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 42 ratings.
Based on 42 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Thank You Shirl-ee May [A Love Story] (DualDisc) (CD)(6)
$16.13 on SALE
Love & Affection: The Very Best of Joan Armatrading (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock 'n Roll Time Capsule, Volume 1 - Disc 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Count Basie First Time! The Count Meets The Duke / Count Basie Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE