- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 8, 2010
- Originally Released: 1958
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Behind-the-scenes documentary
- Hemingway: the legend and the sea
- English, French
- Subtitles - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1958 -
Best Original Score: Dimitri Tiomkin
USA Today - 07/19/1996
"...Spencer Tracy stars, narrates and even got an Oscar nomination....Some of James Wong Howe's photography is lovely..."
Ernest Hemingway's 1952 allegorical tale of an aged Cuban fisherman's epic battle against a huge marlin, followed by his battle to save his catch from the sharks, is brought vividly to life in this John Sturges film.
High Seas |
Personal Triumph |
- Theatrical release: October 11, 1958.
- Shooting locations: Peru, Panama, Ecuador, Kona, Hawii, Nassau, Bahamas, and Havana, Cuba.
- Sturges shot footage of Tracy at sea that was never used.
- Cinematographer Floyd Crosby is the father of singer David Crosby.