Phil Woods This Is How I Feel About Quincy
Only 9 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.22 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.77 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Phil Woods ~ American Songbook, Volume 1 $15.39
- Released: September 14, 2004
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Jazzed Media
JazzTimes - p.133"This is all wonderful writing and playing - the ensemble blend, the solos, the rhythm section. Everything."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Stockholm Sweetnin' - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Quintessence, The - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Meet Benny Bailey - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.For Lena and Lennie - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Pawnbroker, The - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Hard Sock Dance - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Midnight Sun Will Never Set, The - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Q's Delight - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Evening in Paris - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Jessica's Day - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Birth of a Band - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Lullabye For Jolie - (with Phil Woods)
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Belly Roll - (with Phil Woods)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Composers: Ernest Bailey; Henry Salvadore; Doras Cochran; Jack Lawrence ; Quincy Jones; Phil Woods.
Personnel: Phil Woods (clarinet, alto saxophone); Phil Woods; AA (French horn); Richard Chamberlain (trombone, euphonium); Rick Chamberlain (euphonium); Steve Gilmore (bass instrument); Nelson Hill (flute, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Tom Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Brian Lynch (trumpet, flugelhorn); Bobby Routch (flugelhorn, French horn); Bill Charlap (piano); Bill Goodwin (drums).
Liner Note Author: Dan Morgenstern.
Recording information: 02/22/2004-02/24/2004.
Photographer: David Coulter.
Arrangers: Brian Lynch; Phil Woods.
On this CD, altoist Phil Woods pays tribute to arranger-composer Quincy Jones with whom he worked on several occasions in the 1950s and '60s. Woods' quintet, consisting of two other major soloists (trumpeter Brian Lynch and pianist Bill Charlap) plus the same bassist and drummer (Steve Gilmore and Bill Goodwin) that he has used since 1974, is augmented by four versatile musicians to form a "little big band." Woods, who is in top form, performs a dozen vintage Quincy Jones songs plus his own "Q's Delight." The leader wrote all but one of the arrangements, which are usually based on Jones' big band charts but adopted for the nonet. Few surprises occur but the music is pretty timeless. Jones obscurities alternate with such familiar pieces as "Stockholm Sweetnin'," "The Quintessence," "For Lena and Lennie," and the beautiful "The Midnight Sun Will Never Set." Woods' tribute works quite well and is easily recommended. ~ Scott Yanow
Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago (Live) (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE