- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: December 21, 2010
- Originally Released: 1966
- Label: Ent. One Music
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: 12-page booklet with written contributions by theatre critic Michael Billington and the archive of American Television
- Excerpt from Ian McKellen's "Acting Shakespeare"
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
This unique stage production toplines the eminent actor Sir John Gielgud. Working from an adaptation of an anthology by George Rylands, Gielgud appears on-camera and dramatically recites a selection of Shakespearean sonnets and monologues that pay homage to the universal journey that we all take from birth to death - collectively titled AGES OF MAN. Gielgud originally performed this material onstage, and won a special Tony Award for it, "For [his] contribution to theatre [and] his extraordinary insight into the writings of Shakespeare." The version that appears in this release was staged and shot for television, and broadcast on CBS in 1966; it won Gielgud an Emmy.
Performing Arts |
Stage Play |
Television / TV Series