- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 22, 2007
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Fox Searchlight
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- DTS (unspecified) - English
- Mono - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Oh, the things I do for England..."
- James Bond (Sean Connery), as he's about to hop into bed with Helga Brandt (Karin Dor)
"James Bond. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ernst Stavro Blofeld. They told me you were assasinated in Hong Kong."--Blofeld (Donald Pleasence)
"Yes, this is my second life."--James Bond
"You only live twice, Mr. Bond."
Total Film - 11/01/2000
"...It's one of the series, and Connery's, best..."
Sean Connery returns as Agent 007 in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. With the Soviet Union and the United States blaming each other for mysteriously missing space capsules, nuclear warfare between the two superpowers seems imminent. However, Her Majesty's Secret Service suspects the rockets are being held in the Sea of Japan and assigns James Bond to fake his death in order to go undercover. Believed to be dead by the public at large, Bond travels to Japan to track down the missing U.S. and Russian space capsules. Racing against the nuclear clock, 007 discovers that the maniacal Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Donald Pleasence), the luscious Helga Brandt (Karin Dor), and their terrorist organization SPECTRE have planned to incite a full-scale global war. With the help of Japanese agents Aki (Akiko Wakabayashi), Kissy Suzuki (Mie Hama), Tiger Tanaka (Tetsuro Tamba), and a slew of ninjas, Bond must once again save the world from nuclear obliteration.
For his first directorial take on a Bond movie, Lewis Gilbert draws on storytelling techniques from his previous films ALFIE and THE 7TH DAWN (quick cuts, long aerial pans), rendering Roald Dahl's clever script with a fluidity not seen in previous 007 films.
Faking his death and going undercover as a Pacific Islander, James Bond must discover who's behind the disappearance of Russian and U.S. rockets in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. Luckily, 007 is aided by Japanese security agents Aki and Tiger in this punchy spy thriller set in swinging Tokyo and the chromatic jungles of Southeast Asia.
Based On A Novel |
Cold War |
James Bond |
Secret Agents |
Theatrical Release |
- The film is based on Ian Fleming's novel, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.
- Screenwriter Roald Dahl is most famous for his witty novels, which include WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH.
- Donald Pleasence plays the cat-stroking villain Ernst Stavro Blofeld, later parodied in AUSTIN POWERS as Dr. Evil. Charles Gray and Telly Savalas also played Blofeld in 007 films.
- The title song is performed by Nancy Sinatra.