- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 17, 2007
- Originally Released: 1972
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 04/20/2007
"The pleasures here are director Mike Hodges' shaggy-dog script and Rooney's buoyant performance." -- Grade: B+
A retired expatriate Hollywood actor, who starred in gangster movies, hires a paperback writer to ghost his autobiography. But the mystery writer soon becomes a target for murder.
Pulp fiction writer Mickey King gets mixed up with gangsters and murder on the island of Malta in this parody of private eye mysteries.
It all begins when movie legend Preston Gilbert hires King to ghostwrite an autobiography about his colorful life. And Gilbert, who now lives in a secluded villa with his mistress, wife and bodyguard, will pull no punches in the book. The former actor wants to include the names of the many shady people he's known over the years.
But then Gilbert ends up dead, and King turns sleuth to find out who killed him. In the process, the writer finds himself in the same dangerous position as the famous screen private eyes who have inspired him.
Scams And Cons |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Additional cast: Victor Mercieca (Prince Cippola), Joe Zammit Cordina (Santana), Ave Ninchi (Chambermaid), Maria Quasimodo (Senora Pavone), Cyrus Elias (First Guide), Cettina Borg Oliver (Gilbert's Mother), Guiseppe Mallia (Cripple), Roy Marmara (Mario) and Louis Caruana (Toni).
- A Klinger-Caine-Hodges production.