- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 22, 2007
- Originally Released: 1979
- Label: Fox Searchlight
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Dolby Digital Surround - English
- DTS (unspecified) - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"You know him'"--Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles)
"Not socially. His name's Jaws. He kills people."
- James Bond (Roger Moore)
"Why are you so late, James'"--Miss Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell)
"I fell out of an airplane without a parachute."
- James Bond
"Take good care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him."
- Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale)
"Well, here's to us."
- Jaws (Richard Kiel) to James Bond, in his only speaking line
New York Times - 06/29/1979
"...One of the most buoyant Bond films of all....Almost everyone connected with the movie is in top form..."
In the 11th installment of the 007 series, director Lewis Gilbert delivers a visually thrilling progression in filmmaking. Roger Moore returns as dashing secret service agent James Bond. This time around Bond must investigate the theft of a space shuttle with help from beautiful CIA agent Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) and sexy Euro supermodel Corrine (Corrine Clery). Agent 007 discovers that genocidal maniac-millionaire Hugo Drax (Michel Lonsdale) plans to poison all of humanity from outer space and repopulate earth with only the most perfectly bred humans. A variety of traps and villains awaits Bond, including the recurring character Jaws (Richard Kiel, also featured in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME).
Filmed in such exotic locations as Southern California, Venice, and the Amazon, Gilbert delivers the formula Bond packet of girls, gadgets, and guns. However, he also goes further, sending Agent 007 into space. MOONRAKER takes great risks in blending the spy and science fiction genres. In spite of such an unruly coupling, the film rewards viewers with its finale of climactic plot twists and stellar special effects.
An evolution in the 007 series, MOONRAKER is the first of the Bond films to use science fiction special effects. Roger Moore reprises his role as James Bond, the charismatic British secret service agent. While investigating the disappearance of a space shuttle, Bond uncovers millionaire Hugo Drax's (Michel Lonsdale) plan to eliminate the human race, and populate the planet earth with ideal superhumans. Catapulted into outer space and assisted by sexy CIA agent Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles), Bond battles for not only his own life, but for the fate of humanity as well.
James Bond |
Secret Agents |
Space Shuttles |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release: June 1979
- Although FOR YOUR EYES ONLY was supposed to be the next Bond film after THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, producer Albert Broccoli chose MOONRAKER as the next installment, due to the success of STAR WARS.
- Actor James Mason was originally offered the role of Hugo Drax.