Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 14, 2010
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Dragon Dynasty
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Feature length Audio Commentary By Hong Kong Cinema Expert Bey Logan
- A Baptism Of Fire: A Featurette With Iconic Director John Woo
- Partner In Crime: An Interview With Producer Terence Chang
- Art Imitates Life: An Interview With Co-Star Philip Chan
- Mad Dog Bites Again: An Interview With Leading Villain Kwok Choi
- Hard Boiled Location Guide
- Stranglehold Video Game Mini Making-Of
- Trailer Gallery: Hong Kong Theatrical Trailer & U.S. Promotional Trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Cantonese, English
- DTS HD Master Audio - Cantonese, English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Chow Yun-Fat &
Kwan Hoi Sang,
Benny Lam &
David Wu &
Director of Photography:
New York Times - 06/18/1993
"...[Woo is] a very brisk, talented director with a gift for the flashy effect and the bizarre confrontation..."
Premiere - 09/01/1994
"...From Hong Kong with a bullet, an action classic..."
USA Today - 02/17/1995
"...Three of the greatest shootouts ever punctuate John Woo's instant cop classic from Hong Kong..."
Total Film - 07/01/2000
"...All the Woo trademarks are present and correct..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/11/2002
"...The climactic attack on the hospital is as eye-popping as any Busby Berkeley production number..."
Uncut - 12/01/2004
"John Woo's 1992 cop thriller was his last Hong Kong movie, and it's a self-conscious career peak."
When a tough police officer's (Chow Yun-Fat) partner is brutally murdered, he joins forces with another loose-cannon cop (Tony Leung) to exact his own bloody revenge on the gun-smuggling gangsters responsible for his friend's death. A lot of action, guns, and violence, all masterfully rendered by action maestro John Woo (THE KILLER, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2). This is the last film the director made in his native Hong Kong before emigrating to the United States.
After a deadly shoot-out with a ruthless band of gunrunners, Inspector "Tequila" Yuen (Yun Fat) is reprimanded by the police brass for excessive use of force. He soon gets himself into even more trouble by trying to arrest a gangster who is actually an undercover agent. But Yuen gets one last chance to redeem himself in the film's blood-soaked finale. Teaming up with the undercover cop, Yuen battles the mob in an apocalyptic gunfight at the city hospital. In addition to subduing the criminals, he also has to rescue a newborn baby mistakenly left behind in the flames of the burning nursery.
- Writer/director Quentin Tarantino refers to John Woo as "the most exciting director to emerge in action cinema since Sergio Leone." And VARIETY calls the Hong Kong director "the Mozart of Mayhem."
- The Voyager/Criterion CAV laserdisc is subtitled with a dubbed version on a separate analog track.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1992 Golden Princess Film Production Ltd.
- Available to buy in the UK (widescreen version).