- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 14, 2010
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Shout Factory
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: "Making Trouble in Mind" featuring new interviews with Kris Kirstofferson, Keith Carradine, Lori Singer, Geneviève Bujold and more
- In conversation with Alan Rudolph and Mark Isham
- Liner notes by Alan Rudolph
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"If a man looked at a woman's mouth before her eyes, he'd get fooled a lot less."
- Hawk (Kris Kristofferson) to Georgia (Lori Singer)
"There's only two ways to handle a woman, and both ways are wrong."
- Solo (Joe Morton) to Coop (Keith Carradine)
"Miracles happen when you surrender. The trick is surrendering on your own terms."
- Hilly Blue (Divine)
Variety - 12/18/1985
"...A stylish urban melodrama....There are few directors who can fill a frame with as much interesting business as Rudolph....Visually tantalizing..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/13/1985
"...Outrageous, audacious and endearing by turns, TROUBLE IN MIND is a full-blown romance, with lovers-in-innocence and lovers-in-experience and a mysterious city, which draws them all and blurs the lines between them..."
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2008
"Rudolph's stylised neo-noir is ripe for discovery by a new generation....This is 1980s cinema at its most playfully postmodern, dressing up a barebones gangster story in retro-futuristic wrappings..."
Empire - 09/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "Alan Rudolph's very '80s, multi-genre movie has a cracking blues score, snappy, hardboiled patter and iconic performances..."
A.V. Club - 12/15/2010
"TROUBLE IN MIND is driven primarily by music and images....It's a consummate mood piece awash in the smoky glamour of a lost era of film." -- Grade: A-
New York Times - 12/03/2010
"[T]his quirky, dreamlike film dates from a time when a greater range of stylistic options were available to independent filmmakers....TROUBLE IN MIND pushes stylization about as far as American moviegoers will accept in a dramatic film, and perhaps a little bit further."
Film Comment - 01/01/2011
"Crazy, soulful, and lovingly attuned to faces filled with faraway longing, TROUBLE IN MIND is as fiercely dedicated to cinematic beauty as the greatest Powell-Pressburger films."
TROUBLE IN MIND presents an offbeat romantic triangle, set in the fictitious Rain City, involving an ex-cop who just got out of prison, a petty thief, and his unconventional girlfriend.
Film Noir |
Theatrical Release |
- Filmed in Seattle, Washington.
- Kris Kristofferson, Geneviève Bujold, and Keith Carradine all appear in other Alan Rudolph films.