- Released: August 10, 1994
- Label: Ghb Records
- 1.Dill Pickles - Johnson, Charles L.
- 2.Eugenia - Joplin, Scott
- 3.Alabama Bound - Traditional
- 4.Don't You Leave Me Here - Morton, Jelly Roll
- 5.Temptation Rag - Lodge, Henry
- 6.Old New Orleans Blues - Manetta, Manuel
- 7.Pretty Doll - Williams, Clarence
- 8.Powder Rag - Birch, Raymond
- 9.Tishomingo Blues - Williams, Spencer
- 10.Sugar Cane - Joplin, Scott
- 11.Salutation March - Seitz, Roland
- 12.Sweetie Dear - Jordan, Joe
- 13.Dusty Rag - Aufderheide, May
- 14.If You Don't Believe I Love You (Look What a Fool I've Been) - Williams, Clarence
- 15.Lassus Trombone - Fillmore, Henry
- 16.Come Back to Me Mandy - Piron, Armand J.
- 17.Swipesy - Joplin, Scott
- 18.Ta Ta Ta -- Call Me Shine - Piron, Armand J.
- 19.Day by Day (You Are Going to Miss Me) - Piron, Armand J.
- 20.I Can Beat You Doing What You're Doing to Me - Williams, Clarence
Personnel: Lionel Ferbos (vocals, trumpet); John Robichaux (vocals, drums); Lars Edegran (banjo, piano); Orange Kellin, Pud Brown (clarinet); Paul Crawford (trombone); Walter Payton (sousaphone).
Liner Note Authors: George H. Buck, Jr.; Butch Thompson.
Recording information: Southlake Studios (01/22/1987/01/02/1987).
The ragtime era was an exciting time when previously unheard of privileges and pleasures were exercised, like dancing in public cheek to cheek. This CD captures the music that provided the vehicle for romantic interludes and exuberant celebrations of life. Produced by Nina Buck, proprietress of the renowned Palm Court Jazz Club in New Orleans, the CD features some of the best-known and loved musical artists who perform regularly at her French Quarter traditional jazz mecca. Originally released as an LP on the Vanguard label, the CD was remastered and reissued in 1994. With eyes closed, though, the listener will be transported back to those days of ragtime music, along with stirring marches, joyous cakewalks, sultry blues, and elegant waltzes. The New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra are led by Lars Edegran, who founded the organization in 1967. The all-star cast of musicians includes Pud Brown, Walter Payton, Lionel Ferbos, Orange Kellin, Paul Crawford, and John Robicheaux. There are plenty of rags to justify the orchestra's title, including "Temptation Rag," "Powder Rag," and "Dusty Rag." The trumpet of Lionel Ferbos sounds especially fine on tunes like "Pretty Doll" and "Sweetie Dear," as well as "Come Back to Me Mandy." The band swings on classics including "Tishomingo Blues," "Eugenia," and "Dill Pickles." With music this much fun, no wonder people in those days came out on their lunch hours to dance and returned again to dance the night away. ~ Rose of Sharon Witmer
- UPC: 762247521020
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item