Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs The MGM Singles
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
by ? and The Mysterians ~ The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) $11.65
by Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs ~ The Best of Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection $8.34
by The Beatles ~ Past Masters, Volume 1 & 2 (2-CD) $22.38
by Various Artists ~ Turban Renewal: A Tribute to Sam the Sham ~ $15.28
by The Left Banke ~ Walk Away Renee / Pretty Ballerina ~ $13.48
- Released: March 22, 2011
- Label: Sundazed Music Inc.
- 1.Wooly Bully - (mono)
- 2.Ain't Gonna Move - (mono)
- 3.Ju Ju Hand - (mono)
- 4.Big City Lights - (mono)
- 5.Ring Dang Doo - (mono)
- 6.Don't Try It - (mono)
- 7.Red Hot - (mono)
- 8.Long Long Way, A - (mono)
- 9.Li'l Red Riding Hood - (mono)
- 10.Love Me Like Before - (mono)
- 11.Hair on My Chinny Chin Chin, The - (mono)
- 12.(I'm in With) The Out Crowd - (mono)
- 13.How Do You Catch a Girl - (mono)
- 14.Love You Left Behind, The - (mono)
- 15.Oh That's Good, No That's Bad - (mono)
- 16.Take What You Can Get - (mono)
- 17.Black Sheep - (mono)
- 18.My Day's Gonna Come - (mono)
- 19.Banned in Boston - (mono)
- 20.Money's My Problem - (mono)
- 21.Yakety Yak - (mono)
- 22.Let Our Love Light Shine - (mono)
- 23.Old MacDonald Had a Boogaloo Farm - (mono)
- 24.I Never Had No One - (mono)
- 25.I Couldn't Spell !!*@! - (mono)
- 26.Down Home Strut, The - (mono)
- 28.Oh Lo
Liner Note Author: Scott Schinder.
Photographer: Robert Kruse.
Formed in Dallas and led by a dynamic turban-wearing lead singer and organist named Domingo Samudio, Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs were a garage bar band gone huge (it has been long rumored that they could play six hours straight without repeating a tune), and by mixing blues, R&B, and Tex-Mex together with a loopy sense of humor and sly lyrics, they stomped into pop history with the iconic party anthem "Wooly Bully," which hit the number two spot on the pop charts right in the middle of the British Invasion in 1965. Aside from that record, though, and "Li'l Red Riding Hood" a year later in 1966, the group wouldn't have that kind of chart success again, and Samudio and his band went down into most people's annals as a one-hit wonder. This irresistible set, which collects all of the Pharaohs' singles and B-sides for MGM Records between 1965 and 1968, plus Samudio's 1973 comeback single for the label (he had left MGM for Atlantic in 1970, only to return for that one release), proves there was a lot more to the story. Tracks like "Ju Ju Hand" (from 1965), "(I'm in With) The Out Crowd" (also 1966), "Banned in Boston" (1967), and "Old MacDonald Had a Boogaloo Farm" (1968) all display a delightfully subversive joy in being wryly silly, and they don't get in the way of dancing, either. Oh, and then there's the wonderful kiss-off single "I Couldn't Spell !!*@!" from 1968 -- no, Sam the Sham was far from being a one-hit wonder and the romping, stomping proof of that is collected here. ~ Steve Leggett
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(6)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE