- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: March 13, 2007
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: Criterion
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - Japanese
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Introduction: Donald Richie
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 03/16/3007
"[A] screen treatment so no-holds-barred that it could have been filmed yesterday..."
Sight and Sound - 06/01/2007
"[With] vivid expressionist imagery and stark absurdist humor..."
Kon Ichikawa's powerful film centers on the terrifying brutality of war. As World War II comes to a close, Japanese troops in retreat in the Philippines run out of supplies and discipline crumbles, leading to horrifying acts of desperation.
- Theatrical release: July 25, 1962.
- Natto Wada, the film's screenwriter, is director Kon Ichikawa's wife. She wrote the screenplays for several of his films.