Jorma Kaukonen Quah
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 7, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Entertainment Weekly - 2/21/03, p.150"...The music encompasses glistening instrumentals, bucolic blues covers, and a few of Kaukonen's own square-jawed ballads..." - Rating: A
- 2.I'll Be All Right
- 3.Song For The North Star
- 4.I'll Let You Know Before I Leave
- 5.Flying Clouds
- 6.Another Man Done Gone
- 7.I Am The Light of This World
- 8.Police Dog Blues
- 9.Blue Prelude (Vocals By Tom Hobson)
- 10.Sweet Hawaiian Sunshine
- 11.Hamar Promanade
- 13.Lord Have Mercy
- 14.No Mail Today (Vocals By Tom Hobson)
- 15.Midnight In Milpitas
- 16.Barrier (Vocals By Tom Hobson)
Personnel: Jorma Kaukonen (vocals, acoustic, electric & 12-string guitar); Tom Hobson (vocals, acoustic guitar); Tom Salisbury (arranger, conductor); Gene Tortora (dobro); Nathan Rubin, Thomas Halpin, Daniel Kobialka, Carl Pederson, Eva Karasik, Anne Kish, Mischa Myers (violin); Nancy Ellis, Miriam Dye, Mary Jo Ahlborn, Thomas Heimberg (viola); Melinda Ross (cello); Arthur Krebiel French horn).
Recorded at Wally Heider Studios, San Francisco, California between 1972 & 1974. Originally released on Grunt (BFL1-0209). Includes liner notes by Jeff Tamarkin.
By 1974, Jefferson Airplane guitarist Jorma Kaukonen had already started on his own path with his blues-rock side project, Hot Tuna, but with the Airplane's final flight behind him, he moved definitively beyond electrified psychedelic rock with his first solo album, QUAH. Most of the album is just Jorma and his acoustic guitar, and while this sparse format is ostensibly similar to some of the later Hot Tuna releases, it focuses much more on folk-tinged singer-songwriter balladry than on the country blues favored by Tuna. Those familiar with Jorma's Airplane ballads, such as "Good Shepherd," will recognize the sensibility at work here. Of course, there are some tracks where Jorma showcases his mastery of blues fingerpicking, and even some of the most overtly folkie tracks bear a bluesy tinge, but on the whole, QUAH is of a piece with the troubadour movement that was still all the rage in the mid-'70s.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 22,483
- UPC: 886977025822
- Shipping Weight: 0.22/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Special Forces (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Strength In Numbers (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Tour De Force (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Rock & Pop: Folk Rock Music Categories:
- Jerry Alfred Etsi Shon (Grandfather Song) (CD) ~ $16.18
Eric Andersen Avalanche (CD) ~
$15.39 Super Savings
- Eric Andersen Vanguard Visionaries (CD) ~ $10.78
Joan Armatrading Love & Affection: The Very Best of Joan Armatrading (CD) ~
$8.98 Super Savings
Asylum Street Spankers Hot Lunch (CD) ~
$12.49 Super Savings